Twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
My wife bought me some Leinenkugels, unfortunately the caps are teist off, so they are conventionally unuseable. But I got to thinking, why not?
The bottle walls are a bit thinner than pry off bottles, but I don't generally overcarbonate (I usually end up under carbed for some reason. Still drinkable, but less bubbly), so that should midigate bottle bombs.
The wing capper doesnt make a solid seal around the threads, but if I put some pipe thread tape around the lower edge of the lip, not touching the top, I should be able to make a seal, and at the same time not introduce any extra contamination potential.

Am I missing anything?

That sounds like a huge pita. Its probably not done because it adds significantly to the process. Why not just get some pry offs? I am getting ready to put a bunch on craigslist for cheap or free.. Maybe check there for your area?

I've had good luck using twist off bottles. Usually bottle bombs are not from the style off bottle (unless you use wine bottles or something), rather than over carbonating the beer being bottled. The twist off bottle shouldnt explode. It would just leak if its not fully sealed. I use a Red Baron winged capper for mine, and so far it has worked fine.

Von... the solution is two-fold and more than obvious: your wife needs to buy you beer with the right tops and spring for a kegging system... glad I could help... :rockin:

If you don't have a bench capper, don't even bother trying to make screw top bottles work.

if you do have a bench you'll figure out the success rate is just high enough to try it once more before you give it up.

Hoppy: Beggers can't be choosers. It's not like she surprised me with natty light, So I can't complain too much.
Msehelr: I have a bunch of pry offs, but I didn't want to let these poor bottles go to waste. I would hate to see their lives cut short....
Thanks for the response guys, I guess the only way to know for certain is to go for the gusto with this. And by gusto I mean cautiously do a few bottles and hope for the best.

Back