Don't sell your home brew on CraigsList

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcold0403

Reaction score
I was cruising CL to see if I can score some cheap equipment when I saw this:

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/for/2298237643.html

I don't know if I should post the actual link but, well I did. I sent them a very polite email saying what he was doing was illegal and I was just watching out for a fellow home brewer. There are a few things I find disturbing about this (price being one of them), but they might not know they are doing something wrong.

EDIT:

The add has been removed but I wanted to share the text with everyone:

********************************************************************************

SELLING HOME BREWED APPLE WINE - $20 (CoMo)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-03-31, 7:25PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,
I've recently gotten into brewing my own apple wine and I thought I'd like share the taste with the rest of Columbia. This stuff is absolutely DELICIOUS!
I'm selling in quantities of 2 Liters. $20 per every 2 liter bottle of it.
Grab it fast! But I'll always be brewing!
Reply ASAP for the freshest I've got right now

Ahh I am sure that the "freshest he's got right now" tastes delicious too! One week in the fermenter, then straight to the a 2 liter RC Cola Bottle!

share the taste with me, NOT!!! $2 of apple juice $1 corn sugar <$1 yeast = $20 apple wine sounds like a good business model...stupid ATF is going to ruin all this guys fun!

I sent an email just letting the person know that what he's doing is illegal and people were laughing at his brazen stupidity online. I mentioned that cops often troll CL looking for folks selling sex, so it's probably a good idea not to publicize it.

We'll see if I get a response. I showed him the statute and a link to the ttb website.

LOL

Thanks for stirring up the pot Revvy lol

I'm not stirring up the pot, I figure he's like the overzealous noobs we get on here every now and then who don't know the law. Only him actually advertising on CL could end up landing him in a ****storm of trouble. Even if he's never sold one bottle before, all you need is one cop deciding to contact him for a buy. If a cop did bust someone for it, wouldn't it then be a federal offense?

:rolleyes: one will never go broke over estimating your fellow man's ablity for stupidity, and this is a case in point. Anybody here a lawyer where this guy is, he might be needing one.

Kcold, keep an eye on this ad over the next few days and see if he pulls it. But of course it could have been up for 5 minutes and some cop stumble upon it...so it may already be too late...

Yep you're right. It's a local, state and federal offense to sell alcohol without a license.

I just wonder if a local cop is obligated to elevate it higher. I mean if he finds out it's just an overzealous noob not knowing the law, and he would normally just dump it out and let him go, because it's one of those statutes does he have to make a bigger deal out of it.

He was lucky I was able to catch it 30 min after he posted it. I plan on keeping an eye on it, and an eye on the local paper for an arrest....

and CL ad has been deleted, that was fun for a few minutes...no applewine tastings. Hope this guy wised up with your alls advice.

I have never tasted apfelwein before. If you could send me your recipe, a list of the equipment you used to make it, and your address, I will certainly consider purchasing some of your apfelwein for a very reasonable sum. IF you can give me OG and FG readings, as well as the type of apples used, I will pay top dollar for your homebrewed apfelwein.

Happened to me yesterday. It's in your browser cache. Click on the link, then right click anywhere on the page and select reload- it'll refresh and show a page that says "This posting has been deleted by its author."

Can't be. This is the first time I looked at it. I did try refreshing and clearing the cache just for the hell of it anyway and it is still coming up for me. Thats weird.

edit- when I search for it on that CL I can't find it. This is really damn weird.

It's down. I didn't click on the link prior to this morning. So I didn't have anything cached.

Ooooooor, your browser can search back in time!

Seriously guys, stop posting links to funny CL ads. Alt+Print Screen then post the picture. It's no fun for the people that miss it.

I can still see it because I am awesome like that, so here you go.

SELLING HOME BREWED APPLE WINE - $20 (CoMo)

Date: 2011-03-31, 7:25PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hey Everyone,
I've recently gotten into brewing my own apple wine and I thought I'd like share the taste with the rest of Columbia. This stuff is absolutely DELICIOUS!
I'm selling in quantities of 2 Liters. $20 per every 2 liter bottle of it.
Grab it fast! But I'll always be brewing!
Reply ASAP for the freshest I've got right now

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2298237643

I'm looking for some overtime to pay for my cruise. I'm going to answer this ad ;)

*Starts humming* "Bad boys Bad boys whatcha gonna do when he comes for you...."

At least you're more knowledgeable than THIS member of the law enforcement establishment.

Maybe THAT's what you should do, become a teacher and teach local law enforcement the difference between homebrewing, moonshinning and meth making, since sometimes folks don't seem to know the difference.

Heck my buddy had the cops pull up because he was sitting in his living room weighing out his bulk hop order and shrink wrapping them, in front of his picture window....the funny thing is is that he's a police dispatcher. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back