Dry Hopping too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewelt15

Reaction score
4 days ago I racked a DFH 60 clone into a secondary and added 2 dry hopping bags. I will be going out of town and can't bottle for at least 14 days. After reading that 7-10 days is best for dry hopping effectiveness,

I am wondering is it better to wait 14 days and then bottle?
Take the bags out in a few days and bottle in 14 days?
Or remove bags, rack a third time and then bottle in 14 days?

I would bottle now except I only left it in primary for 8 days so want to let it sit for a while longer

As calculated, when you get back, you'll be at 26 days total.

My advice. Leave it alone until you get back from your trip, dry hop it for a week, then bottle.

Your taste buds will thank you.

The Dry hopping is already in motion and if I wait will last for over 14 days. I am worried about leaving the hops in for too long as many have said it produces off tastes.

Is it bad to take the hops out a week before bottling?

Never had any long term dry hop issues. Have left them in for as long as six months. If the hops are good to begin with, they usually stay that way in my experience.

A lot will depend on what flavors you are looking for and what temp you are keeping your beer at. If it is at room temp, 68-72 F, then 14 days may be too long. The wonderful aroma will dissipate and most of the flavor will be moved more towards the bittering side.

If you can keep you beer cooler, then 14 days will be great. At around 45-50F the hop flavor and aroma will stay around and meld together.

Otherwise, I would rack your beer into a tertiary fermenter, add a small amount of gelatin to clarify and bottle on your return.

A lot will depend on what flavors you are looking for and what temp you are keeping your beer at. If it is at room temp, 68-72 F, then 14 days may be too long. The wonderful aroma will dissipate and most of the flavor will be moved more towards the bittering side.

If you can keep you beer cooler, then 14 days will be great. At around 45-50F the hop flavor and aroma will stay around and meld together.

Otherwise, I would rack your beer into a tertiary fermenter, add a small amount of gelatin to clarify and bottle on your return.

You get no bittering from dry hopping.

I've left them in for 4 months before now (basement in summer), never got around to bottling. Great hop flavor.

I usually leave mine in for at least 14 days. It takes that long for the pellets to sink. Never had a problem.

Back