Infections and dry hoping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaquor

Reaction score
I am on my second batch (an IPA), and I was looking at one of the infection threads.

I want to dry hop it but am now afraid of getting an infection from adding the hops after I rack it to a secondary.

Is there a way to minimize the chance of infection or should I even worry about it?

i don't really think you have to worry to much the alcohol content in your brew should enough to kill any kind of infection.

Don't worry. Hops have a natural antiseptic quality about them. That quality of hops is the original reason that India Pale Ale was so highly hopped, so it would survive the trip.

Just to be on the safe side, I have put my whole (garden picked, dried, frozen) hops in a microwave for 15 seconds when I've done this, but I don't think I will do so in the future - I can't help but wonder if this might hurt the flavor.

I dry hoped it with hops in a grain bag. I weighed it down with a butter knife because thats the best thing I had.

Only thing is I thought the knife would be enough...but its not. The bag is 3/4 covered. And its 1/4 uncovered, is that going to give me trouble later on?

I think you'll be fine. Not much choice now, but now you know that to put a couple more knives in there if you really want it to go to the bottom (good idea by the way - hopefully they'll come out easy). Did you boil the bag or dunk/spray it down with starsan before sticking the hops in there?

if you have the ability to cold crash try that out. i don't use a hop bag. just cold crash and all of the hops will sink through the beer and settle at the bottom.

Back