Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otownpyle

Reaction score
What's up amigos?

I'm doing my first wine & it's a Vinters Reserve Pinot Gris kit I bought from AHS.

I'm basically at step 3 Stabilizing & Clearing but the instructions tell me I have to wait on the SG to get to .996 to start degassing and adding the additive packs. I put it together on 8/26, then transfered it to secondary on 9/1 where it had a SG at 1.009 (needed to be 1.010 or less). I was supposed to wait 10 days and check the SG & it be below .996 as stated earlier.

I checked it on 9/12 at it was 1.002 (BTW these have been takin at a temp of 72 degrees F so I've been adding a .001 per my hydrometer instructions). I figured it would take a few more days so I just got through taking it today 9/18 and it's right about 1.001 SG. This is now 18 days after transferring to secondary & the kit said it should take approx 10 days.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I just go ahead and proceed to the next steps? Is it done fermenting? Should I just continue to wait? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Otownpyle

Did you check your hydrometer with distilled water to calibrate it to 1.000 ?? If not you need to check it.

Back