no blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmgd70

Reaction score
i had no blowoff tube so some of the beer came up through the airlock and got on the lid. not bad at all. my question is if i should clean the lid and around the airlock and grommet or just let it be? i didnt know if the dried up beer would attract too much bacteria or homeless people.

i had no blowoff tube so some of the beer came up through the airlock and got on the lid. not bad at all. my question is if i should clean the lid and around the airlock and grommet or just let it be? i didnt know if the dried up beer would attract too much bacteria or homeless people.

I left mine alone. Just pour some starsan solution in the airlock. No matter how much bacteria is outside the pale, nothing will be able to get in.

I would clean and sanitize the airlock. You don't want the stuff drying and clogging your airlock or you might have a nasty lid explosion. You can give the lid and grommet a wipe down with a clean cloth soaked in sanitizer.

I would absolutely clean it. You may have a few spores of nasties floating around in your house, but if they start growing you may get thousands floating around where you brew and on your equipment. I would (and did) pull off the airlock and clean in out/ sanitize. Just be quick about it.

I would clean it. I had this happen a couple of times. Clean the lid with a cloth soaked in sanitizer and then take the airlock out and clean it. The CO2 out gassing from the fermentation will keep anything out, but try not to take too long.

Back