Grain Substitutions ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an Altbier that calls for 1 1/2 lbs. of Munich malt, but I only have 1 lb. on hand. However, I DO have some extra CaraMunich. Can I sustitute 1/2 lb. for the remaining Munich malt ?
I'm taking a wild shot in the dark, but I am assuming, by it's name, that the CaraMunich will be almost the same, but give it more of a caramel taste and color ?

Weyermann Caramunich. Available in three different color ranges, 43°L, 46°L and 57°L. Recommended for Oktoberfest, bocks, porters, stout, red and brown ales. use 5-10% for dark beers, 1-5% in lighter styles.

That is from Northern's website. I do not think you can interchange them. Post the recipe and someone can help you tweak it some.

In equal amounts of Munich and CaraMunich, CaraMunich will much more color and in the "red" range. CaraMunich will also inhance the body of the beer and impart more caramel flavor.

Not a real substitution, but it shouldn't make an undrinkable beer by any means. May be towards the high end of the SRM range for style.

Post the recipe and someone will chime in.

I am just my first batch into 1 of 3 bags of Munich. From my initial impression of Munich I'd think a Biscuit or Toasted malt might be a reasonable substitution flavor wise.

Ok, here's the recipe :

6 lbs. Pilsen Light LME (I am using a pale LME)
1.5 lbs Munich Malt (As I stated earlier, I have 1 lb on hand)
1 lb. Caramel Matl 60L
1/4 lb. Carapils Malt
Irish Moss
Perle Hops-bittering
Spalt/Saaz Hops-flavoring and aroma
Dusseldorf Alt yeast

I have on hand :
Pilsner,Carahell,Pale Ale,Vienna,CaraMunich,Carafa1&2,Carapils, and Carafoam malts (on the lighter side)

Any help in tweaking would be GREATLY appreciated !

Make up the rest of the Munich with Vienna. Much closer than CaraMunich, IMO. You've already got a pound of Caramel 60 in there; adding a half-pound of CaraMunic will throw you over the sweet, caremelly edge. ;)

What you're after with Munich is bready, toasty flavors and aromas. Vienna provides those also, but with less assertion. In fact, if you can squeeze it into your grist, you might want to think about increasing the Vienna from the half pound it takes to make up the Munich to a full pound. Your choice.

Cheers,

Bob

Make up the rest of the Munich with Vienna. Much closer than CaraMunich, IMO. You've already got a pound of Caramel 60 in there; adding a half-pound of CaraMunic will throw you over the sweet, caremelly edge. ;)

What you're after with Munich is bready, toasty flavors and aromas. Vienna provides those also, but with less assertion. In fact, if you can squeeze it into your grist, you might want to think about increasing the Vienna from the half pound it takes to make up the Munich to a full pound. Your choice.

Cheers,

Bob

this is sound advice

Cheers,

Bob

this is sound advice

Agreed

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the Vienna. I'll decide at brew time how much to use.

Back