Plastic Fermenter Use (Beer and Wine)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I have been thinking of trying to make a batch of wine, probably start with a kit like I did when I started brewing. I was in the LHBS the other day and was asking some general questions. I was told that I could not use my current plastic fermenter since I have made beer in it and I would have to buy a new one to ferment wine in. Is this true? I was hoping to use my current plastic fermenter for both wine and beer. Is it becuase its plastic and the beer somehow taints it for wine? I didn't understand this.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

It will be fine just sanitize it real good. and make sure its big enough, most wine kits are 6gallon I think.

I have successfully used my bottling bucket to make wine. I elected to use it instead of my primary because my primary fermentor has a nice hop smell to it. I LOVE the smell, but I was not real excited about having it in my Kiwi flavored wine.

For the 7 or 8 bucks....I am not sure I'd risk a $100 wine kit on it...that's certainly not to say it WON'T WORK. It will work just fine...just be careful of carryover flavors.

I have been thinking of trying to make a batch of wine, probably start with a kit like I did when I started brewing. I was in the LHBS the other day and was asking some general questions. I was told that I could not use my current plastic fermenter since I have made beer in it and I would have to buy a new one to ferment wine in. Is this true? I was hoping to use my current plastic fermenter for both wine and beer. Is it becuase its plastic and the beer somehow taints it for wine? I didn't understand this.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Use Saniclean from 5 Star Chemicals to get the color and smell out before and after you make wine in it. Otherwise your beer with smell like grapes and your grapes like hops.

Back