Prison 'shine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Maddock

Reaction score
Hello, I'm back with another ridiculous post.

I just heard, on a TV show, about prisoners making moonshine from apples. How is that possible? The following issues come to mind when I think of this:

- Where would they get reliable yeast for making the wash. I'm sure there isn't bread baking going on in the pen' kitchen.

-Where would they hide the fermentation vessel for the 2 weeks - 1 month it takes to brew the wash, amidst kitchen inspections and guards roaming?

-Where would they permanently hide their pot still, and how would they distill the wash (it would probably stink to hell) under the guards noses? I'm not going to even ask how they would make the still... Those guys are DIY geniuses.

-I'm sure most of them are too depraved to imagine this, but is it worth going blind in a maximum security facility, with hundreds of murdering foes breathing down your neck. I can't imagine them taking someone out of max. security for claiming to be blind, as it can be faked with a little discipline.

I don't know this from experience but they tend to keep their brew (hooch?) in their toilet while it is fermenting. Not sure what they do when they need that toilet for other reasons.
I guess there is always the chance a guard would find it but would you prefer to be in prison or drunk and in prison?

HurricaneFloyd said:
I don't know this from experience but they tend to keep their brew (hooch?) in their toilet while it is fermenting. Not sure what they do when they need that toilet for other reasons.
I guess there is always the chance a guard would find it but would you prefer to be in prison or drunk and in prison?

I vote for " drunk and in prison " . Imagine doing 3-5 years sober !:mad:

Every time I've been in jail I've been drunk (once). I wouldn't say it was fun. It also wasn't my fault (really), and being pissed at someone and drunk at the same time is also not fun. Especially since he was my roommate (this was a couple of years ago, my current roommates are awesome), and when we got out we had to go home together.

Never been to jail, but I've seen it on TV. Don't even like to watch it on TV without a beer in me. If I had to go, I think drunk would be the way I'd get there !

jesus... did anyone else read the OTHER things this "Steve" guy has eaten/drunk? The hooch he made was probably one of the LEAST disgusting things in the collection.

-walker

In The Great Escape, they hid all kinds of stuff. And made some kick-ass vodka from potatoes! :mug:

Lounge Lizard said:
In The Great Escape, they hid all kinds of stuff. And made some kick-ass vodka from potatoes! :mug:

when i was in the brig we used to dip cigarettes in pine-sol and smoke 'em to get high...:rockin:

Walker said:
jesus... did anyone else read the OTHER things this "Steve" guy has eaten/drunk? The hooch he made was probably one of the LEAST disgusting things in the collection.

-walker

Yeah, the "Steve, Don't Eat It" series is pretty awesome. I kinda like potted meat, though. :D

Back