Second brew FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpac2k

Reaction score
So my second brew is all bottled up. It's NB's brickwarmer holiday red. My OG was 1.060 and had great fermentation. I checked my FG last thurs and last Sunday and it came in at 1.018. This seems very low to me. Does anyone have any opinion or advice on anything I may have done wrong or is this where it should have finished up??? Thanks all.

Seems a little high actually. Extract or all grain? If the latter, what was your mash temp? I just had a red start at 1.060 and finish about 1.009.

Need more info from you before we can answer.

How long was it stable at 1.018? If its still fermenting, you might have some bottle bombs.

It was an extract kit from northern brewer and it was in the fermenter for three weeks exactly. I took my first FG on Thursday night and my second on Sunday morning so it was stable for two and a half or three days.

There are lots of threads here about fermentation stopping at or around 1.020 in relation to extract brews. If it's stable, bottle it.

I brewed the same beer and my final gravity came in at 1.010. If it's stable and tastes good to you no worries..enjoy it.

It's definitely stable and my hydrometer samples tastes very very good. The recipe that came with the kit gave the OG but not the FG so I was not sure where it should finish. It's only my second batch so I'm still learning the ropes so to speak.

This recipe makes a very good beer. I'd say you did fine. The ABV is around 5.5% if I figured it right, so nicely done. :)

Yeah it tasted great when I took my hydrometer samples and I was hoping for a fairly high abv so I'm really excited about this one.

Back