Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aecht Schlenkerla Maerzen Smokebeer - absolutely disguisting. First beer I've tried that I could not finish.

Natty Ice in college...luckily after 5 or 6 I couldn't taste anything.

Lately had a Hooker Watermelon Ale that was undrinkable. I rarely throw out beer but I couldn't stomach more than a few sips of this. Good smell, bland taste, horrible, soapy finish.

I'm surprised to see so many well known main stream beers being posted as the "worse" beer someone has ever had.

It seems that it is almost required to list a macro brew for it to be bad.

BMC, Lonestar, Corona, etc. are not THAT bad.

Maybe its just living in a country with a very very very limited beer selection (Budweiser, Heineken, Stella, Brahama and Quilmes) makes me appreciate these "bad" beers.

I can always drink a BMC and be satisfied and enjoy it, where as I have had a few micros that, after one sip, I had to pour it down the drain (Otro Mundo Golden Ale, Antares Kolsch, Barba Roja)

One of the only 6 packs I've ever bought and could not finish was Rio Grande Brewing Co.'s Green Chile Ale. I know quite a few people who bought 6 packs of this stuff thinking it would be a nice change of pace. They'd drink one and then couldn't give the other 5 away.

Maybe not the worst I've ever had, but what sticks in my mind as the worst is Schmidt aka Animal Beer. I remember it was about $3-4 a 12-pack. Not good beer.

When I was a teenager in Montana I use to rumble through my Dad's recliner. I could usually find enough money to buy a 12 pack. Schmidt Beer...Lots of memories drinkin' that stuff.:D

Red Stripe, O V splits, or Miller High Life.. out in schdy ny where i live they have this stuff call hurricane.. its like high test steel reserve.. awful

Genesee "Genny" Lite. Ugh.

Sam Adams Light

I wish I was you. I'm no fan of Sam Light but the worst beer? Jesus. I can think of 30 I'd rather never have again over a Sam Light.

For "Microbrews" (if you consider Harpoon one) then Winter Warmer in a run away. God that stuff is awful. Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic isn't far behind either. We used to get the "holiday pack" and I found in basement 3 years later some Cranberry Lambic, I literally couldn't give it away.

Damn, Just after I bought a 12 pack of Samuel Adams Coastal wheat beer I read this thread and i have to agree this beer is terrible!! I wouldn't even call it lawn mowing beer like some of you mentioned :mad:

To add to the list i cant stand Samuel Adams Black berry wheat beer either.

By far "Buffalo Sweat Stout" (on tap) by Tallgrass Brewing Company and I'm a stout drinker.

I picked up a four-pack of Buffalo Sweat cans in AR recently. Really tasty; I suspect you had a bad keg.

I've tried four different beers from Atwater Block out of Detroit, and they were all massively contaminated (funky and "gushers").

Damn, Just after I bought a 12 pack of Samuel Adams Coastal wheat beer I read this thread and i have to agree this beer is terrible!! I wouldn't even call it lawn mowing beer like some of you mentioned

Nothing like going to a bar that has Bud, Bud Light, Heineken, Amstel, Sam Summer and Sam Coastal Wheat! So many to choose from!

Seems like a lot of people are just posting styles they don't like, such as BMC and fruit beers, or beers that were infected. For me the worst beers are the ones that try to be one thing but miss the mark by a mile. There was one experience I had that really sticks out in my mind. I bought a mixed 12-pk from River Horse brewing. Every one of the beers tasted the same, though they were drastically different styles. They were bland as hell and just poorly made. Not surprisingly, they went out of business/were bought out shortly after that. That beer was putrid.

The worst tasting beer I've had is Sam Adams Triple Bock, but at least I can give them some credit because they were trying to produce something different and unique. I couldn't take more than two sips, though.

killians irish red is nasty. where's the flavor? it's way off style; no malt, no hops, bad yeast. 20 years ago i thought it was good stuff, so maybe my tastes changed, or maybe it did. i think both...

.....There was one experience I had that really sticks out in my mind. I bought a mixed 12-pk from River Horse brewing. Every one of the beers tasted the same, though they were drastically different styles. They were bland as hell and just poorly made. Not surprisingly, they went out of business/were bought out shortly after that. That beer was putrid.

This breaks my heart! Are you speaking of River Horse Brewing Company in Lambertville, New Jersey? This is one of my favorite breweries.

I can stomach BMC alright. The worst I'va had recently was Capital Brewery (out of Middleton WI) Supper Club. I thought it tasted like they used the cheapest malt and dirty hops. The only way I would ever drink it again would be at a food pairing.

i thought supper club was alright. cheap malt, dirty hops? i donno about that. heavy corn, that's for sure, maybe that's what you're tasting?

one pilsner i didn't care for at all is lakefront's local acre. "Imperial Pilsner", wasn't very good.

i thought supper club was alright. cheap malt, dirty hops? i donno about that. heavy corn, that's for sure, maybe that's what you're tasting?

one pilsner i didn't care for at all is lakefront's local acre. "Imperial Pilsner", wasn't very good.

now that you say that, very well could have been. Everytime I see somebody buy Supper Club I feel like I should warn them, I disliked it THAT much.

i don't think i'd ever buy any. but i drank the 6 or so someone left at my house.

if i were in that kind of mood I could see myself ordering a few. but in general its not a style I like to drink.

I hope this doesn't piss off any British members, but...

a few years ago, in desperation for beer on a camping trip, I grabbed a sixer of Tetley Ale. I'd never had it or seen it before, but it was cheap and I knew the name from my love of Iced Tea. If I remember right it had some sort of Nitrogen pack in it to give it a creamy head.

It tasted like heavily soiled sweat socks had been soaked in drain water.... and then hopped with grass clippings. ugh.

BMC comes in second (since I hold no qualms about classifying them together!), but numero uno has to be DFH's Palo Santo Marron. Granted, I'm not much of a "dark" beer fan (i.e. Guinness and I don't see eye to eye), but in terms of questionable commercial releases, this one takes the cake. Bought a 4 pack, each poured like cough syrup with literally zero carbonation, and the woody smell was so overwhelming, I gagged upon first sip. Wound up pouring out the first, thinking it was a bad bottle, but #2 was exactly the same way. The remaining 2 went to my LHBS buddy who apparently likes the stuff.

I can't remember which it was - Brooklyn Pilsener or Bitburger Pilsener. One of them tasted like armpit. Just god awful.

Might've been a bad keg, though.

#3: canned Birra Castello lager

#2: 't Smisje Catherine aka the super fizzy imperial stout

#1: Beltaine alle castagne affumicate e ginepro (smoked chestnut and juniper beer) aka the burnt tyre flavored beer
beltaine%20castagne.jpg

I gotta agree Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat has got to be among the most vile "beers" i have tasted.

Tasted like Bam Bam took a fruity peebles in a bottle.

I had something by Chimay back in the mid 80's. Never touched anything from them again. Was thinking perhaps I could/should give them another try since my tastes have changed.

Shipyard's pumpkin beer is pretty ****ty,but the worst to me has been a smoked brown ale from a known brewery(which I can't remember).**** tasted like medicine.

VB - Victoria Bitter, an Australian macro, it's just hideous. Also, Nambawan in Vanuatu is complete rubbish too, tastees like a really bad can-and-kilo kit beer..... probably is!

Deschutes celebration ale.... Jubelale. I really wonder how they manage to keep putting it out every winter?

Probably the worst, but I stay away from scottish/irish reds and nutbrowns because i typically dislike them as a whole.

Back