Beer and Orange Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
For the most part, I'm definitely a purist when it comes to drinking my beer. I always drink from a proper glass depending upon style and I almost never add anything to my beer with the following exceptions (and only once and a while):

Woodruff or Raspberry syrup in Berliner Kindl Weissen (my SWMBO was awesome enough to get me two cases of this, one year for Christmas at $50 a case.)

and

I've recently discovered that orange juice can really compliment certain wheat beers and Belgian light ales especially. If you've never tried a good orange juice in your beer, I recommend it. You might be surprised. It's also a good excuse to enjoy a beer in the morning. How many of you have tried this combination before?

:off: The only time I've ever had orange juice and beer together is in a drink we used to slam at the bars in Wisconsin called a "Wisconsin Lunchbox". It had equal parts beer and orange juice in a cocktail glass with a shot of amaretto in the center. You drank it all in one (or two) gulp.

They were great....until I got sick on them once.

Sorry for the hijack.:off:

I don't drink wheat beer and maybe he orange juice is nice in that sort of stuf but it's not realy in my beer sphere.

Everything I need is already in the brew.

I've had beer and orange juice together before, and I agree, its actually not bad, of course that could have been the extra shot of vodka that was added :drunk:.

A lot of places serve Blue Moon with an orange slice. The wheat homebrew sees orange juice now and then also...

I bought a sixer of Blue Moon and tried their recommendation of the orange slice. NASTY. GF liked it. Not for me. Actually put me off of Blue Moon permanently.

DO NOT drink O.J. after brushing your teeth. Everyone knows this rule, RIGHT?.

How much oj? I've used a tiny splash before when I didn't have an orange, but not much at all. I don't think I'd like much more than that.

Ever heard of a power driver? Equal parts OJ, Vodka, and Beer. It sounds disgusting and it is, but yes I've tried it. You can taste each ingredient used.

rdwj said:
How much oj? I've used a tiny splash before when I didn't have an orange, but not much at all. I don't think I'd like much more than that.

I've done the splash of orange juice before; but in some instances I'll sometimes mix as much as 1/3 juice to 2/3 beer.

My father used to rave about beer and orange juice when he was stationed in Germany during the late 50's. Never had it myself. Guess I should try it, huh?

Hoegarten is served with a slice of orange, or a lime if your bartender is a friggin idiot...

It really compliments the beer, because there are some citrusy tastes in there to begin with.

I saw someone earlier in the thread had it with blue moon...not sure where that came from, but i'm glad someone else discovered it was nasty before I tried it ;)

mike

Try a Colaweizen:

2/3 hefeweizen
1/3 Coca-Cola

Very popular in Bavaria, and extremely tasty on a warm day. SWMBO loves it (though she likes it more 50/50). We occasionally order it at an Austrian restaurant near here (where they carry German Hefes on tap). The server always looks at us funny.

SWMBO's other favorite drink is a "Radler", which is half Helles pilsner and half lemon-lime soda (such as Sprite, but less sweet). Using wheat beer instead of the pilsner would be a "Russe", which is also quite good.

Back on topic, OJ + weizen beer was called a "Frühstück Weizen", which means a "breakfast weizen" :)

It's not necessarily beer, but Olde E and OJ mixed are a Brass Monkey (or Ghetto Mimosa), and that happens to be my favorite low-budget beverage....

Ogre said:
It's not necessarily beer, but Olde E and OJ mixed are a Brass Monkey (or Ghetto Mimosa), and that happens to be my favorite low-budget beverage....

(Brass Monkey + Night Train + Beer + Navy physical readiness test)/2O year old sailor = BAC of .390 and a overnight stay at Oakland Naval Hospital

. . . but it was good

Pumbaa said:
(Brass Monkey + Night Train + Beer + Navy physical readiness test)/2O year old sailor = BAC of .390 and a overnight stay at Oakland Naval Hospital

. . . but it was good

OE + Nightrane + Weed + Shrooms/20 year old = 1989 Mustang in a tree. Luckily I was just parking the car at the time (moving it to a new spot).

Anyone remember this beer-citrus abomination?:

3f_1_b.JPG

sause said:
Ever heard of a power driver? Equal parts OJ, Vodka, and Beer. It sounds disgusting and it is, but yes I've tried it. You can taste each ingredient used.

Back in my younger days we used to make something similar. Two 12-oz. lagers, a 6oz. can of frozen lemonade concentrate and 6oz. of vodka mixed slowly in a blender. We called it a Crotchgrabber. They were actually pretty tasty on a hot summer day.

Being from Memphis, I consider myself a bit of an expert on brass monkey. It only theoretically contains orange juice. The local cocktail connoisseurs on Brooks and Elvis Presley prefer to drink an eight ball down to the bottom of the neck, and then top off with a bottle of Sunny D (also called a ghetto sunrise).

MLynchLtd said:
Hoegarten is served with a slice of orange, or a lime if your bartender is a friggin idiot...
Hoegaarden is NOT traditionally served with a fruit slice of any kind. It is, however, served in a thick pint glass with long, flat facets on the sides and a wide, open top.

hoegaarden.gif

However, I generally kinda like a slice of orange with my wits, and a slice of lemon with my hefes. I've even tried the "splash of orange juice" technique - not bad, but not particularly good either. I do, however, leave Hoegaarden alone - IMHO, it's a great beer and doesn't really need any embellishment. I recommend that if you're a "fruit in the beer" kinda guy that you start ordering the fruit on the side. That way you can taste the beer first, then make your own decision on whether it's better with a bit of garnish. Also, if you just want to enhance the beer's "nose" a bit, get a thin, round slice of the citrus fruit of choice and simply float it on top of the beer.

Rhoobarb - Isn't that Cowboy Koolaid? I remember hauling around a three-gallon plastic jug of that in my back pack back in college.....How do I remember that?

Yuri_Rage said:
I do, however, leave Hoegaarden alone - IMHO, it's a great beer and doesn't really need any embellishment.

I tend to agree. I like an orange with Blue Moon, but I won't even compare it to Hoegaarden. It's not even in the same league.

Hoegaarden is PERFECT the way it is.

I was thinking about experimenting with oranges and wheat beer as something to drink in the AM.

Blue Moon is always served with an orange or lemon slice at the bars I frequent. I'm not a fan of it but I was thinking I could do something to make it better since I like the concept in the AM.

Back