Popcorn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malticulous

Desert Gecko
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
crushed.png

I've never mashed popcorn before. I brewed this up today.

4 lbs Rahr Pilsner
3 lbs Rahr six-row
1.75 lbs hot air popped corn (Kroger brand)
.7 oz Mt. Rainer 90 min
.5 Saaz 10 min
1/2 cup US-05 slurry

Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes.
doughin.jpg

As it socked up watter it just sunk into the mash. I had no problems sparging with the valve wide open. It ran off faster than all malted barley would.

The wort tastes like corn on the cob. I can't compare it to flaked corn because I've never used that just corn mill, grits and unsalted canned.

I think this will be a fine cream ale.

interesting idea, i haven't heard of this before. where did you get the idea? let us know how it tastes.

Just looking at that makes me want to make some popcorn from the leftover bacon grease from this morning!!!!

I'd like to know how that tastes when its done.

Not sure what you're calling this one but James Brown Cream was the first thing that came to mind....POPCORN!!!

Truly radical...

So other than the coolness factor, what do you think this will do to flavor over flaked corn?

Edit...not short-selling the coolness factor...I think this is sweet...just not sure WHY I think this is sweet....enlighten me...

The flavor is corn and with 20% popcorn I can say there is no missing the corn flavor. It boiled 90 minutes so I don't think it's DMS. It tasted like fresh corn, and I know fresh corn. I've not used flaked so I can't compare. It was $1.10 a lb, plus tax, plus the labor, electricity, and equipment to pop it. It's cheaper than flaked corn (at least for out front cost.)

It's carbed now. There is still some chill haze. I will crash the rest of them clear at near freezing for a week soon. Once they get a little warmer they are brilliantly clear.

P1010998.jpg

The Corn is in the aroma, along with some spicy hop and malt. Flavor is very clean, slightly tart. Very well balanced between corn, the malt and the hops. None dominate. High carbonation. Finishes dry with some lingering. Similar to some import lagers. (It was fermented at 59F.)

I think popcorn may be more flavorful than flaked maize. This is a very good beer. A few other homebrewers tried it yesterday and they both agreed.

I like the idea!

I tried talking my friends that i brew with into doing this but they didnt like the idea, Now I have proof that it works. Maybe ill have a batch coming up soon

Love the idea btw. Already planning to go on a little stovetop mashing expidition to allow the pop corn conversion.

P.s.
You wouldnt happen to know the minimum amount of pils malt id need to convert 1 pound of pop corn would you?

Thanks for reply. So, 3# pils malt, 1# popcorn is a pretty good ratio then. Maybe ill make it 4# just to be on the safe side.

....thats alot of work for a guy with no grain mill....

It's from Radical Brewing.

I used the same extract potential as flaked corn and came out with the OG I was expecting; 1.047 for 5.5 gallons.

I was just looking through the forum and came across this. Stupid question time!!

If I need 2# of Flaked Corn in my recipe, I can just use 2# of air popped popcorn?

And did you use rice hulls?

Ive never used corn before so I thought Id get weird with it. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back