at full capicity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
all my carboys are full, at various stages of fermentation! w00t!!!

i've got:

primary:
six gallons of barley wine
six gallons of heffe
six gallons of bitter

secondary
six gallons of belgian triple
six gallons of heffe
six gallons of stout

we will begin bottling the heffe and stout this week. i think the triple is gonna get a long spell in secondary in the cold cellar during the winter.

I'm all full, too. I only have three carboys, though. I may have to buy another one soon as I'm on a brewing roll and now I can't brew for at least two weeks. Really, though, it would be better if I left everything right where it is for awhile.

What a grand feeling to be full up huh?I've got 10 fermenters going myself,2 Apfelweins,5 Ales and 3 Lagers.Also 400 bottles filled.My goal is to not have to brew or buy beer for 4-5 months this summer,just recreate and drink the fruits of our labors.
Cheers:mug:

because i was too lazy to bottle it, but needed to get at the primary yeast cake for another batch...;)

Cheesefood said:
Why did you put your heffe in a secondary?

should this go straight to bottle?

how about a belgian wit? should that go into a secondary? i always do secondaries. i think it helps clarify the beer.

am i wrong?

:mug:

roggae said:
should this go straight to bottle?

how about a belgian wit? should that go into a secondary? i always do secondaries. i think it helps clarify the beer.

am i wrong?

:mug:
Most of the purpose of the "secondary" or "clearing/bright tank" is to allow the beer to condition away from the trub cake. It helps with clarification and keeps off flavors from developing due to yeast autolysis (which isn't a problem until over a month has elapsed with your beer sitting on the yeast/trub). Hefes and Wits don't need clarification, but if you plan on aging them for more than 4 weeks before bottling, it might be advisable to rack to another container.

Back