Preferred flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred flavor?

• Malt

• Hops

Results are only viewable after voting.
If they made a cologne out of malt, I'd wear it. I just can't stand hoppy-happy brews.....hey, there's a name for a brew.......just leaves a dry taste in my mouth and I almost always have to drink water with my beer. My microstyle pale ale....egads!!! Never again....around 50 IBU's....too much for my liking.

I went with hops. Personally, it depends on the time of year. In the colder months, I'm more inclined to grab or brew a malty beer, like a brown, Oktoberfest, Scotch Ale, Bock, etc. I like an good IPA anytime, but especially in the Summer!

What, no 'yeast' option? :confused:

I voted 'hops'. Before I started homebrewing, I mostly drank IPAs. But I must say that since starting to brew, I've come to appreciate a wider variety of beers.

A balance between the two is what I am after - not too strong in the hops but with a fresh taste and smell. Not too dry and definetely not sweet.

easy!

nosnhojr said:
What, no 'yeast' option? :confused:

I voted 'hops'. Before I started homebrewing, I mostly drank IPAs. But I must say that since starting to brew, I've come to appreciate a wider variety of beers.

No. I have a hard time believing that yeast is as dominant a flavor as hops and malt. Yeast is a flavor, but not a main flavor.

When I go to a brewpub, I tend to buy hoppy ales in the afternoon and malty ones in the evening. Mainly I brew malty, roasty ones. And then there's Bent Rod Rye with 8 hops. I've made brews with 1/2 oz of hops and with 12 oz. I never drink two similar ales in a row, drives the bartenders crazy.

When I go to a new brewpub, I always get their sampler.

I have a vicious sweet tooth, so I've always prefered big, malty beers. However, my tastes have become more expansive, oh-so-slowly, over the years. Imperial IPAs have really been a gateway to enjoying hoppier beers for me. Also, since I've started brewing, I've really come to enjoy the smell of hops, and I'm coming around on regular IPAs and Pale Ales. However, I'll always love the malt more.

I love hops (see my other threads- I think hops are an aphrodisiac) but malt flavor is where it's at! I love malty beer- rich malty beer. I love pale ales, too, but if I had a choice between a super hopped beer and a super malty one, I'd take the malty one. To me, hops smell heavenly but malt tastes heavenly.

Lorena

I'm a little surprised... I thought us malty guys were a big minority.

I chose malt but the hops have to be there too. I don't think I could drink a malty beer with no hop profile at all. The two compliment each other like peanut butter and jelly.

Malt! I don't mind hops, but given the choice between a really rich malty beer and a hoppy one, I'll always take the malty beer. :tank:

Nate said:
I'm a little surprised... I thought us malty guys were a big minority.
Same here! I'm also a bit of a malt-head. Balance is important, but if the scale tips, I like it to favor malt. Sometimes I like to tip that scale on purpose - see my Floor Kill recipe. Currently drinking an Anchor Porter - pretty much the epitomy of a rich, malty porter.

I will say, though, that I've expanded my horizons a bit since I started homebrewing, and I can definitely enjoy an IPA or hoppy barleywine from time to time. Stone IPA is GOOD stuff!

I echo the sentiments posted by many already: for me, there has to be a good balance.

I really like a strong hop aroma (but not too bitter), with a nice malty flavor.

I agree with needing balance, but I prefer the balance to fall on the Malt side. I know some people here are just huge hop-heads. I have a sweet tooth that loves malt. I sometimes just eat the DME by itself because I love the flavor.

Dude, I'm waiting for your response on this, I've always taken you for a hopthusiast.

Oh, I've eaten DME before (it's even better than chewing grain), but I still love me some hops. Right before we left town for Thanksgiving, I had bought a crapload of hops for a couple batches and left them in the fridge. They weren't sealed as air-tight as they should have been, and when we came back - the cheese tasted like hops... mmm, hops-flavored cheese... [drool]

The poll seems to be close to 50-50 but I am with the (small) majority. I like malty beers. I also have to say that I don't mind a lot of hop flavour but I find as I design recipes they always end up on the malty side of the equation. I guess that would make me a malt-head as well.

I definitely lean towards maltier flavors if I had to choose. But that being said for me, it depends on the style. I like lighter, more refreshing beers on a hot summers night that have a good hop aroma, flavor and bitterness. On a cold winters night, I like maltier, fuller styles with low bitterness and little hop characteristic. 'Course that is always subject to mood and food.

Though I enjoy hoppier beers much more than I used to and enjoy the occasional IPA, I’m still in the ‘Malt’ category. It’s why I keep trying different Sierra Nevada beers that everyone raves about and just don’t care for them (Celebration Ale for example).

I am a hop-head. I am surprised by the number of maltsters around here as well. I guess living in the Pacific NW I just assume everyone is into the hops.

I'm opposite, I thought there would have been more malt heads on here. Thank goodness for qbrew for when I make my own recipes, anything past 40% IBU's gets kicked out.

*Hops all the way. Although I guess you need some malt backbone to balance out the hops, but If i were to choose it would be hops.

*Dont let any Belgian peeps see this pole, (What no sour? no Horse blanket?)

I like a balance, but prefer my beer to be more malty. Growing my own hops has me liking the cascade flavor. I have a particular liking to Northern Brewer.

Food has a big influence though...

Back