Bubbling in secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjokin

Reaction score
I am brewing an Irish Stout from a kit. After the first week in secondary there was no action. I mean no airlock activity, the start of the second week it started bubbling again. and a layer of bubbles appeared on top of the wart.. is this normal? its only my second brew. it seems to be settling back down again 4 days later.

thanks,

A picture would help to see if it was an infection, but its probably just Co2 that was left in the beer that is bubbling its way out

couple of possibilities:

It wasn't done fermenting and racking to secondary roused the yeast which made fermentation increase a bit; or racking caused an outgassing of CO2.

Was it done fermenting? What did the hydrometer #s look like?

Where in Maine are you? Welcome to the Board!

O.K., before folks hit you with the "don't worry about your airlock - it can't answer questions about your fermentation" posts, let me be the first to say don't worry about what's happening in your airlock - it can't answer questions about fermentation. Best bet is let it sit for a while (I'm brewing Irish Stout now too!) and rely on your hydrometer. I assume that nothing unusual is happening. You are all good. If those bubbles turn into something that looks like mold then you have something to worry about. But I bet you're fine! Have fun.

kingjokin - no worries - it's normal-ish. THEN - if it is someplace cool and you bring it upstairs expect a lot of activity. normal

thanks for the reply's...
Ill just go with the C02 explanation, it doesn't look like an infection. my hydrometer was at 1.014.

@broadbill - From hampden/bangor .. Nice to see another Maina on here. ha ha

Latest posts

Back