How much to account for boil off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
We made our first keggle and are preparing for first full boil batch, we are using 5 gallon extract kits. My question is how much water should we begin with to account for boil off? My assumption you rather end up with a little less wort ( since you can just top off with water to reach 5 gallon) than it is is to have too much (watered down brew) . Is there a specific amount everyone uses?

That amount will vary from system to system and brewday to brewday. For a five gallon batch and 60 minute boil, you'll probably need to start your boil with somewhere between 6 and 6.5 gallons.

JohnnyO said:
That amount will vary from system to system and brewday to brewday. For a five gallon batch and 60 minute boil, you'll probably need to start your boil with somewhere between 6 and 6.5 gallons.

So you typically boil off at least a gallon? Just worried about having to much wort

So you typically boil off at least a gallon? Just worried about having to much wort

Yes. I now do 10 gallon batches. When I was doing five gallon batches, I would usually start off with 6.5 gallons to be safe.

For future reference, you should try to scale up your batches to 5.5 gallons, because you'll find that you lose about a half gallon in the fermenter due to deadspace, trub and yeast.

Around a half gallon every thirty minutes is fairly typical. Some systems more, others less. Is your recipe designed for five gallons in the fermenter? Mine are usually designed for six gallons end of boil, five and a half in the fermenter and five gallons transferred to the keg.

why don't you test your system and be sure.

put 6.5 gallons in, bring it to a boil, and then boil it for an hour and measure the result.

put a timer on how long it takes to get to the boil, so you know that too.

for the price of a kettle of water, and about 2 hours, you can have the answer

Back