OK..Its official. Im bug bitten!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
My wife (SWMBO) is ready to strangle me. She agreed to the Mr. Beer because she thought it was cute that her man was going to make his own beer. Figured I would get tired of it after it turned out like most of my other projects.

She smiled a little bit when I decided last week to do a partial mash Oatmeal Stout. She still thinks it's cute.

Today, I went to Brewmasters Warehouse and picked up a fermenting bucket and air lock along with the ingredients to make SHOULTZ-MEYER BREWERY DON'T CALL ME HEFE brew. Today, she didnt smile much. She asked me if this was the last batch this year. I had to chuckle and say "I promise I wont brew more for the rest of this year". She doesnt know that I am planning on a January 1, 2013 brew.

So, yeah, I am now moving away from the LBK as my main and have stepped up to the big time with the bucket. :rockin::D

Now, I am gonna have to get comfy on this couch. I have a feeling Im going to be using it for a few days. :drunk::eek:

It is an addictive hobby, I am hooked myself. Santa is bringing me a Barley Crusher grain mill and 40 lbs of grain (I do mostly 1 gallon batches now so the grain will cover a few brew days)
Welcome aboard :)

Does your wife like hefeweizens? If she does, then you're golden! :mug:

Brewing is addicting! I love to drink my beer, but I love brewing it also. Then, I found that I really like hops growing, yeast culturing, and crushing grain in the basement. It's a slippery slope, that's for sure. But I have a big old house, so there is lots of room for stuff to accumulate which helps. :cross:

My wife (SWMBO) is ready to strangle me. She agreed to the Mr. Beer because she thought it was cute that her man was going to make his own beer. Figured I would get tired of it after it turned out like most of my other projects.

She smiled a little bit when I decided last week to do a partial mash Oatmeal Stout. She still thinks it's cute.

Today, I went to Brewmasters Warehouse and picked up a fermenting bucket and air lock along with the ingredients to make SHOULTZ-MEYER BREWERY DON'T CALL ME HEFE brew. Today, she didnt smile much. She asked me if this was the last batch this year. I had to chuckle and say "I promise I wont brew more for the rest of this year". She doesnt know that I am planning on a January 1, 2013 brew.

So, yeah, I am now moving away from the LBK as my main and have stepped up to the big time with the bucket. :rockin::D

Now, I am gonna have to get comfy on this couch. I have a feeling Im going to be using it for a few days. :drunk::eek:

Ha ha ha!! And just to illustrate how quickly this has escalated...How long has it been since you bottled your first Mr. Beer?
:mug:

Congrats on your new obsession....

My wife likes brew day....it means i will be out of her hair and out in the garage most of the day....gives her some peace! :D

It is an addictive hobby, I am hooked myself. Santa is bringing me a Barley Crusher grain mill and 40 lbs of grain (I do mostly 1 gallon batches now so the grain will cover a few brew days)
Welcome aboard :)

DONT give me more ideas...Ill be divorced. LOL

And Hell...Im videoing THIS brew! Gonna be the next Youtube sensation...cept for my fat ugly face. LOL

Interesting, I actually stepped my batches down because I like brewing so much. That way I can brew every couple of weeks and not have enough alcohol in my basement to kill 5 people...

find something the wife likes to drink and brew that and maybe try and get her involved,may wind up with a brew partner

find something the wife likes to drink and brew that and maybe try and get her involved,may wind up with a brew partner
This.

Wine or hard cider come to mind. IMO, those are good 1 gallon batch candidates, at least until you have something you know she will like.

Her medicine wont let her have alcohol. She loves beer and will drink one every now and then, but its rare. Shes just all bent out of shape because I spent money. LOL. She will be fine...I hope. :)

Correction: Homebrew saves money for those who aren't insanely addicted to it. Homewbrew is more expensive for the poor sods who have to buy all the equipment and pimp out their brew station. I think most of us are in the latter category.... :)

Correction: Homebrew saves money for those who aren't insanely addicted to it. Homewbrew is more expensive for the poor sods who have to buy all the equipment and pimp out their brew station. I think most of us are in the latter category.... :)
I guess I'm in the former. I brew in an old juice bottle on top of my bookcase...

Don't lie to yourselves home brewing doesn't save money. If your admitting to being addicted to the hobby let all your honesty out. Even if you use minimal equipment you have to ask if you weren't brewing would you be buying the same amount of beer at the same quality. We brew because we can and we enjoy it not because its cheap.

I am not lying to myself, it isn't far above cost-neutral and it very well could save some people money, depending on their habits. Ignoring setup costs, which were a couple hundred dollars (and while I wasn't particularly extravagant, I wasn't frugal either), I am getting beers for .60-.70 each (up to about a dollar). A lot of the craft brews I drink are well over $1 each. My Two-Hearted clone cost about half of an equivalent in-store purchase.

And I don't think I drink significantly more now that I'm brewing than I ever did. I always had a few options in the fridge and I still do, just my own brews.

Compared to some hobbies that my friends have, I have spent much less and produced much more. Is it a money making enterprise? No. But it's way better than a boat. We have to keep in mind that it is a hobby and will require SOME cash infusion, but it is better than many alternatives.

and she wanted me to start back playing golf...snicker
This is definitely cheaper then playing golf.

I spend 12-20 bucks a month making homebrew now that I've got my batch sizes and frequency figured out. I was spending 30-45 a month on hard liquor and mixers. So, yes I do save money. Though I mostly make wine.

My wife: "You need to clean that garage out"
Me: "I need all that stuff, 6 fermentation buckets, 8 carboys, 7 kegs, (3) 20-gallon wine fermentors, a table of labware, grain crusher....then there's the 2 motorcycles and the treadmill"......maybe I do need to clean some stuff out....

My wife: "You need to clean that garage out"
Me: "I need all that stuff, 6 fermentation buckets, 8 carboys, 7 kegs, (3) 20-gallon wine fermentors, a table of labware, grain crusher....then there's the 2 motorcycles and the treadmill"......maybe I do need to clean some stuff out....

Yeah, dump that treadmill already. :D

To the original poster, don't get rid of that Lbk. I have been turning evrything into fermenters, jugs, bottles, etx. I have an Lbk and I love it because it lets me make those small batches, it's simple and it works. I make 5 gal batches typically but since I also have the "bug" it's great to have the room to experiment with smaller batches. As much as I love to drink it, creating beer is nearly as satisfying . I'd type more but I have a home brew in my other hand. Good night!

Interesting, I actually stepped my batches down because I like brewing so much. That way I can brew every couple of weeks and not have enough alcohol in my basement to kill 5 people...

Are you trying to suggest that the 300 plus bottles I have in my basement is too much? :D

I limit myself to no more than 2 12oz bottles a day and usually only one so I too brew some small batches but some varieties I like well enough to make a 5 gallon batch.:rockin:

Are you trying to suggest that the 300 plus bottles I have in my basement is too much? :D
For one person? Yes... Send some to me.
I limit myself to no more than 2 12oz bottles a day and usually only one so I too brew some small batches but some varieties I like well enough to make a 5 gallon batch.:rockin:
I usually only drink 3-4 a week, but my typical abv is between 10.5 and 15. :tank:

I decided to switch to 1 gallon batches every other week when I realized I had about 14 gallons of brew I couldn't bottle.

Buy some kegs... 3 kegs would have solved your problem in about an hours time. Then just bottle from the kegs when you want to.

I agree. Throw that treadmill motor on a grain mill!

Or better yet, throw your wife on the treadmill and hook your grain mill up to it, having her do the work.

I understand a lof of the SWHMBO stuff is joking, but for the majority, does yoru wife really hassle you that much about brewing? Maybe it's the fact that this is really my only hobby that is an expense, but I usually just tell my wife I'm brewing and she says OK.

My wife isn't too hard on me about it, although I do get a lot of "now I know you're smarter than that because you can make a perfect plan and do hours of research to perfect a beer, so don't act like you are incapable of <insert random task that I claimed to be incapable of here>".

I mostly have that coming, though.

P.S. At work today I got a text from my wife with a link to a kegerator she thinks we should buy. I guess I can't complain too much...

Buy some kegs... 3 kegs would have solved your problem in about an hours time. Then just bottle from the kegs when you want to.
I thought of that, but the kegs and the co2 setup is a little more then I can justify spending right now.

It was simpler, and cheaper, to adjust my brewing rate to match my consumption rate. :mug:

Back