Priming sugar. A Major Stoopid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones1948

Reaction score
Absent minded goof. I did not dissolve the priming sugar. I began pouring the dry sugar directly into the conical fermenter while stirring. Then it hit me what I'd done so I stirred vigorously for a few minutes to get the priming sugar dissolved. (I tested a 1/8 tsp of remaining sugar and it almost instantly dissolves when water gets on it) I repeated stirring 10 minutes later to dissolve any remaining sugar. The crud from the bottom had been re-suspended judging from the turbidity of the brew. I returned the lager to the 45 degrees 'fridge and turned the temp down to ~ 39 degrees to inhibit fermentation. Will rack tomorrow.

Thoughts?

39F might indeed do it,but I'd be concerned just the same. Lager yeasts like cold,after all. Then ya gotta warm it up before bottling it.

Why not just let it run through that small amount of sugar and then re-prime the proper way? Yeah, it will change the body and flavor of the beer a bit but that is how I'd do it to be sure.

Not to say that's it's the correct method, but I've bottled before by measuring exact amounts of dry corn sugar and adding it to my bottles before bottling. I've never had any issues, I've just had to wait a bit longer for carbonation. I'd say it shouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back