campden tab question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
I made a batch of light pale ale today. some of my past batches have had a slight clove/chlorine flavor. So today before the boil I added one campden tab to the tap water. My only concern is that this batch is showing no signs of life after 8 hours,,,,every other batch I have made with safeale s-05 has been bubbling away after a few hours. Can campden tabs kill yeast after they boil??

I use one all the time. I've heard it's supposed to be 1 per 20 gallons, so 1/4 of a tablet for 5 gallons, but I've never had a problem with vigorous fermentation within 12 hours using a full tab.

Yea, I usually split a tab between my mash and sparge water, so I do a full tab in ~9-10 gallons and have never had a problem. Just make sure to add it pre-boil and you're good.

yes it was added pre-boil. still no bubbles but the level in my airlock has changed indicating there is some kind of pressure in there. I have never seen a ferment without bubbles in the airlock,,,have you?

Fermentation is a funny thing sometimes. RDWHAHB!

...and remember that an airlock is not a hydrometer. If you really wanna monitor progress, take a sample and see if your gravity has dropped. If it has, the yeasties are working, let them do their thing.

I've had this happen before with s-04. But it took off after 24 hrs. Are you sure you shook the beer enough to oxegenate the wort? I think that was more the problem than campden tablets.

I'm sure it's fine. Rdwhahb.

yes it was added pre-boil. still no bubbles but the level in my airlock has changed indicating there is some kind of pressure in there. I have never seen a ferment without bubbles in the airlock,,,have you?

Yes, the last buckets I bought (online from brew supply) leak at the lids, i finally bought some gasket material for the lids because I like watching the bubbles!

ok guys I am going to let it sit for 2 weeks ,,I will let you know what happens! thanks!

Back