Yeast Nutrients in cider: Do, Don't, Maybe, How Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So im on my first batch of hard cider. Using Nottingham and rehydrated as advised on the pack. This thing took off like Usain Bolt in London. Within 2 hours it was starting to lace around the top of the carboy and within 6 hours the airlock was bubbling away so I think im on the right path.

But i've read several places that apples may not have the necessary nutrients needed for yeast to thrive in cider must as compared to water in the wort of home brew which normally has natural minerals in it. Some of the recipes i've seen don't show any nutrient additives but some do. Im just looking for opinions on whether you should or should not add them, why and if so, how much and how often. Also any thoughts on whether or not nutrient would help it ferement to a lower final gravity as well as impacts on the speed of reaching a final gravity.

Any and all opinions appreciated!:rockin:

I added nutrient to my 5 gallon batch. More to ward off "rhino farts" then anything else. I added 1tsp per gallon. A couple of raisins will do the same thing, at least that's what I'm told.....

According to a study: (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-89132011000300017&script=sci_arttext)

Applejuice from three different varities were tested for their nitrogen content, and its effect on fermentation. They found that no nitrogen source is required. Here is the conclusion of their paper, but I would encourage you to read the whole thing. It's an interesting piece of work.

CONCLUSIONS

Brazilian apple must showed average nitrogen concentration above 100 mg/L. At this concentration the alcoholic fermentation occurs without any interruptions. The nitrogen content in apple juice affects directly the yeast growth and fermentation kinetics. However, although in must with low nitrogen content, the fermentation was slower but it occurred until complete exhaustion of the fermentable sugars. The Brazilian apple must not be supplemented with nitrogen for alcoholic fermentation.

I understand you asked for nutrient, and not specifically a pure nitrogen supplement such as DAP, but I would assume the same thing goes. They found that yeast fermented to completion without any additional suppliments. That being said, I would add a Tablespoon (for 6 gallon) of yeast energizer to the batch just in case.

According to a study: (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-89132011000300017&script=sci_arttext)

Applejuice from three different varities were tested for their nitrogen content, and its effect on fermentation. They found that no nitrogen source is required. Here is the conclusion of their paper, but I would encourage you to read the whole thing. It's an interesting piece of work.

I understand you asked for nutrient, and not specifically a pure nitrogen supplement such as DAP, but I would assume the same thing goes. They found that yeast fermented to completion without any additional suppliments. That being said, I would add a Tablespoon (for 6 gallon) of yeast energizer to the batch just in case.

Very good info here, thanks for sharing!

I have yet to add any nutrients to any of mine. I have had great success by keeping my recipes simple and not adding sugar or chemicals (maybe some some juice concentrate) and being able to control the ale yeasts and keep things on the sweeter side without backsweetening. Well that's my take on not adding any nutrients, but everyone does things different and likes things different. What Clayton said is becoming more and more apparent the more I learn.

Are there any disadvantages to adding yeast nutrients? Other than personal preference of making a product with as few additives as possible?

Only disadvantage is if you add too much too late. If there is enough nutrient left in the cider at the end you can taste it.

I use yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & DAP (diammonium phosphate) in every cider, graf, and wine I make. The reason is simple:
For a few cents, I can make certain the yeast have everything they need for a healthy fermentation; to me, it's worth it.
Regards, GF.

Yes if you add too much it will taste like you are drinking a daily vitamin. Definately lean towards the low side of the suggested dose if possible. Thats the reason I am not a big fan of craft hard seltzers. No one has really done it in the small craft brewing industry until the last couple years so they take direction from the companies that produce the nutrients. How many nutrients do rum producers add to the sugar cane they ferment for distillation? Well rum has been around for long before they knew how to check nitrogen content or quantify trace minerals. 99 percent of the time the yeast will readily ferment the sugars if your pitch rate is solid and the yeast are viable. Temperature and pitch rate are the most important factors for fermentation. Take care

Back