bottling high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I have a double bastard clone that is getting close to bottling. What is the best way of doing this? I hear people talking about adding more yeast or what amount of priming sugar should I use?
thanks

i do 5 gallon batches and use 4oz of priming sugar in the bottling bucket. You shouldn't have to add more yeast because yeast will be in suspension (floating around in beer). The priming sugar will awake the yeast and then they will produce CO2 for ya. im sure other brewers use different amounts depending on how carbed up they want the beer but 4oz works good for me. hope this helps

The only difference may come int he time to carb - where a typical beer should carb up in about 3 weeks, higher gravity brews can take longer. Sometimes significantly longer!

When I bottle my beer, I always use one plastic bottle so I can squeeze it and check fermentation levels. That said, my triple I bottled 6-8 wks ago is still very squishy and it,s only around 8.5% using a yeast good to 12%. My most recent RIS came in around 10.5% and it carbed an about 2-3 wks using a yeast good for about 10.5%. The difference? I racked my triple into secondary for 5wks and never racked off my recent RIS.

So if you don't secondary your beer, it should carb fine. If you do secondary it, i'd add a little yeast for bottling. That's what I'm gonna start doing.

The only difference may come int he time to carb - where a typical beer should carb up in about 3 weeks, higher gravity brews can take longer. Sometimes significantly longer!
+1, remember that the yeast is tired. High gravity wort is like going on a bender for the yeasts. they party like crazy, then they need to crash for a bit. Carb like you normally would, use sugar by weight (not volume) and let it sit. Don't forget that high gravity brews need time to age.

Back