Big boy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
Well I put way too much honey in my bochet and my OG was 1.155. It's now down to 1.08, but the yeast are slowing way down. Should I top off with water in the primary? Or rack onto my berries and choc, top off, the repitch the same yeast? With an OG of 1.155 and using ec-1118, I expected my yeast to die out with a ton of sugar, but I was hoping to get closer to 1.03 or something. They are still eating, but I can visibly see them slowed way down and clearing towards to top.

If you add water, it's gonna dilute the sugars and get drier.

1.155 to 1.010 (just ballparkin for ya) would be 18 and change % abv.. pretty close.

Yeast don't live on sugar and nutrient alone. They do like tasty bits of fruit - s'why your fruit floats in primary for example.

So - is your primary right now just honey water and nutrient? I'd wait til it got a little lower (1.04 perhaps) and rack it.

It's gonna speed up again once it hits the fruit bits, but 4% gain in alcohol to tolerance won't eat all the sweet out of your berries and chocolate.

Prolly no need to repitch.

Won't 1.010 still be pretty sweet? I like a little sweet, but not overly sweet where it's hard to drink more than a small bit.

In my original post I put 1.03 as my target but I meant much lower. No clue what I was thinking.

Many commercial meads are about 1.04, which I find a little high, but 1.01 sounds fine, a sort of medium sweet.

Perfect. If it does only get down to 1.04, any way to drop it more? I mean... That's pretty sweet I think

1.04 is pretty sweet.

If your yeast poops out at 1.04, it could be that you've exceeded their alcohol tolerance, in which case you may wish to dilute and repitch.

Back