No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellenm

Reaction score
Okay experts, here is my question. I bottled my IPA a week ago today. This was my second brew. I refrigerated and cracked one open today, no carbonation, hardly any taste. I used 3 oz of hops in a 5 gallon brew, I thought I would be able to taste something.

Am I possibly not filling up my bottles enough, was the bottle cap not crimped all the way, or possibly something else wrong?

Thanks for the help over the last few months, all of you are VERY helpful, and I hope to join your ranks soon.

Post a recipe for flavor issues

1 week is not long enough for carbonation (try 3 or 4)....

When I used to bottle I usually let my brew sit in the fridge for a couple days before imbibing

try the forum search as well.....

Most beers take at least 3 weeks to carb for me. Higher ABV can take even longer. 3oz of hops may or may not be a lot of bitterness. Depends on the type and more importantly the AA%. 3oz of Saaz @ 4%AA won't compare to 3oz of Summit at 14%AA. Give the bottles a couple of more weeks to prime and then pop a couple in the fridge before you judge it. I know it's hard, but patience is your best friend at this point.

1 week is definitely early, but also examine the bottle. i've had two bottles without carbonation so far. one was a twist cap bottle that somehow got into my collection and didn't properly seal. another bottle had a hairline crack that was unnoticable at first glance. give it another two weeks and try again, and RDWHAHB

Back