The reason its hard to save money homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can brew beer on the cheap, but most of us find that it is a hobby we love, so we continually dump more money into it (just like any other hobby). It becomes more about progressing in the art of making beer - experimenting, creating, and enjoying the fruits of your labor, than about saving money on something we consume. I liken it to baking, which I also love to do - there is something inherently amazing and rewarding about creating something from scratch that is so delicious. And then, of course, once you make something great, you experiment, tweak it, improve upon it, and change it into something completely new and just as great, only different. It's a wonderful cycle!

/agree

Some save money and some are like yuri lol..right now I'm saving coin but later I will have a nice set up...but for now this works for me.

I would also soak and scrub (with a soft sponge only) the fermenter and tools. Fill up the primary with water and a scoop of oxi clean free, mix it up so it's all dissolved well and get all the tools in there too. Soak it overnight or something and sponge every inch of the surface. Then empty and fill with rinse water a couple of times, spray with star san and store as normal until next use.

I would also soak and scrub (with a soft sponge only) the fermenter and tools. Fill up the primary with water and a scoop of oxi clean free, mix it up so it's all dissolved well and get all the tools in there too. Soak it overnight or something and sponge every inch of the surface. Then empty and fill with rinse water a couple of times, spray with star san and store as normal until next use.

Yes, agreed with an additional suggestion. After the thorough cleaning with oxyclean, I would sanitize twice, once by soaking everything in a strong bleach solution (and rinsing) and then by using the normal sanitizer (either star san or iodophor).

It still may be necessary to replace equipment, but figuratively nuking the bugs is worth a shot.

You can brew beer on the cheap, but most of us find that it is a hobby we love, so we continually dump more money into it (just like any other hobby). It becomes more about progressing in the art of making beer - experimenting, creating, and enjoying the fruits of your labor, than about saving money on something we consume. I liken it to baking, which I also love to do - there is something inherently amazing and rewarding about creating something from scratch that is so delicious. And then, of course, once you make something great, you experiment, tweak it, improve upon it, and change it into something completely new and just as great, only different. It's a wonderful cycle! :D

Couldn't agree more.
I've had many different hobbies in my life, and I've never been able to find a hobby that, once I started really liking it, wasn't downright expensive. The whole "cheap hobby" BS is just a lie we tell ourselves to get the courage to start something new. The way I see it, any hobby is cheaper than the shrink it replaces...;)

In the late '90s, taking advantage of the fact that it was a "cheap" hobby, I decided to take the plunge, and spend about $400 on a R/C car. Much cheaper than the R/C airplanes I've always loved.
To make a long story short, in little more than a year I had the car, I spent more than $6000 on it. I even bought a metal lathe, and titanium at $550/kilo, to make parts for the damn thing!!! And that's getting paid about $10000 a year...
So, now, I don't expect homebrewing to be cheap. I know it won't be, especially for me, being that I love building equipment even more than coming up with some new swill only I can drink...:D

To me it just matters how well my beer turns out. I regularly purchase beer that would cost up to $30 a sixer and those are beers I would love to be able to make.

So take my most recent batch for example, clone of Gulden Draak. $60 on ingredients for extract, but two cases would cost around $250 from a store. Just two of those batches would cover all my equipment costs

I have definitely saved money on the beer, but I've probably drank a lot more beer than I would have if I hadn't been brewing.

I still like it :)

So you guys really think I should just clean the heck out of it, and potentially risk throwing a new batch of ingredients in there?

I think its infected because it smells absolutely awful. it might be the recipe, and I have never brewed with corn or rice. The smell and taste are very pungent, sour and somewhat corn like.

I still have the beer sitting in the bucket, so maybe it will clear up, but I don't really think it will.

I've saved a ton of money by taking up this hobby.

Now that I homebrew I've been going to the bar a lot less. And I can tell you this, going to the bar is a FAR FAR bigger money pit than making your own beer. Paying $4-6 per bottle for a sucky beer? Nah I'll just make my own good stuff, thanks.

So you guys really think I should just clean the heck out of it, and potentially risk throwing a new batch of ingredients in there?

I think its infected because it smells absolutely awful. it might be the recipe, and I have never brewed with corn or rice. The smell and taste are very pungent, sour and somewhat corn like.

I still have the beer sitting in the bucket, so maybe it will clear up, but I don't really think it will.

Unless you have some visible deep scratches, I'd just clean and sanitize and use again. Personally, I think infections are much less common than many people think they are. In all my years of brewing, I have yet to have an infected batch. If you don't have another bucket to get your next batch going in, then by all means, buy another (or buy another anyway, because one can never have enough fermentors). But I wouldn't throw that current batch out until you're sure fermentation is complete and you've given it every chance to get better. My last Koelsch tasted a bit sour until it was about 6 weeks in the bottle. Then was perfect.

But when I went to rack my last batch to a secondary I realized it was infected. (or at least i am pretty sure, something is definitely wrong with it). So now I am out 2 cases of beer, a primary fermenter (it was in a plastic bucket), and potentially some tubing and an auto-siphon, because that might be where the infection came from.

Just because you got an infection, doesn't mean all your gear is toast.

I had an infection too. I did a strong-ish bleach solution soak on all suspect gear, and a thorough rinsing (pretty sure my auto-siphon or racking tubing did it).
I only replaced the cheap tubing, and have had no issues since.

Granted, my bucket's been in use 3 years, has picked up a strong hop smell and staining from dark malts...time for a new bucket just on principal.

Nothing wrong with being extra cautious and replacing stuff, but its not mandatory.

Since I've started brewing my beer total at the store has gone up (I'm buying MUCH better craft beers, and have a pricetag to boot.) I am also buying equipment every chance I can. Keezer with 2 kegs so far, room for 7 more, glass carboy (I know the horror stories) and many other things of equipment. For me, there is no money saving, but I am trying not to think of that until I get my 8-9 Keg tap system up, a pipeline going, a complete AG system, bulk grain stored and yeast being reused. Try not to think this will save you money (I'm an out of work college kid too) but as something fun. If anyone wants to help me get my AG setup, or pipeline going, feel free to send stuff, lol

(12 bottles = 1 case in canada))

Around here, 12 bottles/cans equals a 12-pack... 24 bottles/cans equals a case... I have heard of people calling the sizes between a 12-pack and a case a "suitcase", but I don't buy beer in those sizes since I figure it is just a way for the breweries to cheat you by letting you think that it is a case that you are buying.

20cases I made
In canada 1 case of beer is about 25$

That's way too expensive considering you're talking about 12-packs instead of what we call 'cases'. Around here, even a premium beer like Guinness is only around $7-8 per 6-pack at the very most and I can remember buying it for $6 per 6-pack and that doesn't seem like too long ago...

I've visited Canada before and I did notice that the beer prices sure did seem a lot higher than in the US. Even beers that were brewed in Canada were more expensive than the same beer that was exported to the US (even if you don't count the GST/VAT that ya'll also have). Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

In PA 12 packs are pretty high too. Its because of our stupid rules. From a distributer you cant buy less than a case so 12 packs have to come from a deli or bar but Bars don't like to sell 12s. There you pay the inflated 6 pack price or even more inflated by the bottle. At the grocery store its about 20 bucks for a 12. Or around 10 for a six and thats on the low end. I hate PAs rules but at least we get a wide selection.

I noticed that on a trip to London,Ontario that Molson beer was $3.18 a bottle. The brewery was 1 1/4 miles up the street! We were getting it for less than 1/2 that here at the time. WTF?? I had to laugh,though,About where we bought it. We were looking for a place to eat,& stopped at this kinda red neck lookin joint called the "beef baron II"...cool,they specialize in beef! Roflmao,I was half right. They did have a bbq'd hind leg kept warm for slicing. But as we were walking up to get some,this cute blond walks in front of us wearing nothing but white lace garters! no bra or panties! HEEELLO! It was a burlesque joint! OOPSIE!:drunk::D:rockin:

I haven't purchased new equipment in almost two years. I am easily saving money with homebrew. We had a two month stretch were I was unable to brew and my kegs all emptied, we saw the difference in our pocketbook having to buy more commercial beer. I do want a grain mill though, the one at LHBS sucks, but I will make that back when I buy my base malt in bulk.

I've visited Canada before and I did notice that the beer prices sure did seem a lot higher than in the US. Even beers that were brewed in Canada were more expensive than the same beer that was exported to the US (even if you don't count the GST/VAT that ya'll also have). Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't alot of Canada's healthcare system get their money from taxes on things like liquor?

10brewhutroofshingled.jpg

scaledp1030534.jpg

scaledp1030654.jpg
That appears to be all electric and nice and clean that is what I am looking to build we need to talk!!

mnstorm99 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't alot of Canada's healthcare system get their money from taxes on things like liquor?

Must be the case. I thought the value of the dollars where evening out but however they figure that out, US dollar seems to stretch much further.

I guess its economies of scale but it is interesting that I end up paying the same or more for the beer from the local nano breweries to craft breweries from the other side of the country. The should be some type of discount considering there is no delivery fees or even packaging when we are talking growler. IDK

I wouldn't be surprised if they also had a high tax on alcohol... We have our own "six taxes" in the US. They have a higher income tax plus a GST/VAT. Just doesn't seem right that a Canadian would need to come to the US in order to be able to buy Canadian beer cheaper than he could buy it at home though. I'm not comparing dissimilar types of stores either. I'm comparing the prices that are at large grocery store chains, not some little convenience store vs a volume retailer.

to the OP, I have not yet saved money on it, because I SPEND too much money on it. That's about it!

Ultimately all money goes down the drain but if you drink a lot of good beer it's justifiable. That is the lesson here. Hell it's justifiable if it makes you happy plain and simple.

Beef Baron is definitely NOT a classy place.

Yeah, big taxes on alcohol in ontario. I don't think the rest of Canada is as bad. The "Lowest Legal Price" to sell a 24 of beer is 24 dollars plus deposits. So you can get only the ****tiest of beer for 26.40/case (if deposit is still 10c, i forget)

MazdaMatt said:
Beef Baron is definitely NOT a classy place.

Yeah, big taxes on alcohol in ontario. I don't think the rest of Canada is as bad. The "Lowest Legal Price" to sell a 24 of beer is 24 dollars plus deposits. So you can get only the ****tiest of beer for 26.40/case (if deposit is still 10c, i forget)

That blows. We can get cases for 9.99 maybe even less. I wouldn't want to drink it but its good for alcoholics lol.

Beef Baron? What up with that?

That blows. We can get cases for 9.99 maybe even less. I wouldn't want to drink it but its good for alcoholics lol.

Beef Baron? What up with that?

I found out the hard way on a fact finding trip for Ford that the Beef Baron II is a classic burlesque joint. But they do have a whole cow leg bbq'd up in a warmer they carve for you. Beer was expensive @ 3.18 per bottle back then.

I have already invested in equipment, and it adds up even for a BIAB brewer like me. I use ONLY ezcap flip top bottles...... for several reasons, mainly because I like them. They added up to a fair piece of change. My BC mill took a nice bite out of my budget such as it is, two fermenters, airlocks, stock pot, etc.

The good part is that my base malt is costing me 50 cents a pound, though I was given the last 50 pounder. The grain bill adds up to about 2 pounds to the gallon. My most recent batch (2.5 gallons) used 4 pounds of two row $2.00, and half a pound of specialty malts $1.00, an ounce of hops $3.00. Harvested yeast... pennies for the starter, the gas to operate the stove, etc. Total cost probably hit the grand total of $6.50 for 17 half liter bottles of beer. Less than 40 cents a bottle...... call it 50 cents if you will to cover other expenses. In another year or so, I expect to be using my own hops. That'll cut my cost in half almost! I planned on doing some home malting, but the malting barley crop I had my eye on looks like it probably won't yield this year.......... was put in too late, and they are talking about cutting it for hay.

It's NOT about saving money, it's about doing something I want to do. Saving money is part of the challenge though.

H.W.

I see threads like this all the time, the best thing about this hobby is YOU can make it as cheep or expensive as YOU want it. I've been brewing now for 4 years and I can definitely say that I have recouped all of my money that I have put into it and now all I'm paying is ingredients and propane.

I make 10 gallon batches and DIY almost everything from as small as my grain mill to my 3 tier welded stand with keggles. I also buy used whenever possible, I have 8 plastic fermenters and I have only recently bought 2 new ones all others were used, along with various other brewing equipment, you just have to be patient and you can find some good deals.

It has already been said but buying grains and hops in bulk and reusing yeast is an easy way to cut your per batch cost down. I can make 10 gallons of most beers for somewhere between $30-50 but I'm not concerned with my cost at this point because I just like to make beer, you'll get to that point too someday just when only you can determine.

Back