First beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
Nope. Uh uh. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Did I say "first brew"? No, I didn't.

Did I? Negative!

I said "first beer". As in, "today, at 46 years old, I'm about to try the first beer of my life". Yep, first one. At least since, at about 5 years old, I decided to try an open beer my dad had left in the fridge...

So I was coming back from the supermarket, and, finally, I decided to get to the nearest gas station. Of course, they had the natural assortment of "fine" beers (Coors, Bud, Heineken, etc) and then, sitting alone in a corner, I saw this one:

img_0207.jpg

I don't know if it's good or bad. I just know that I don't know it, and I figured, being a wheat beer, it should be on the sweet side...right?

So, now, I'm excited (can you tell?). I just put it in the fridge, but, before trying it, I have a few questions:

1. Is it good? Is it bad?
2. Is it sweet?
3. How cold should I drink it? Fridge cold? Freezer cold?
4. Anything else I should know about it?

Thanks in advance. :)

it's ok..prob not a bad one for your first. it will be fairly light, have some citrus tones and be pretty drinkable. Leinies does a pretty good job.

good luck!

You are drinking beer for the first time??!!??!!??!! I personally like that beer... It is a good wheat light beer... It is on the sweeter side of beer, but compared to other alcoholic drinks, it's not as sweet as your "fruity" drinks... So cheers... just keep in mind that beer is an acquired taste...

That's a bad beer. It's loved by some, but it tastes like Fruity Pebbles, the kids' cereal.

Leinenkugels is owned by BMC, and makes only lagers. Even their nut brown ale is a lager. :drunk:

Very funny. :D I hadn't even noticed I had 500 posts...

Anyway, now I'm confused. :(

Yooper, I know you like the bitter stuff. Is it bad because it's not bitter, or is it really bad quality? I understand that, for $1.50, I'm not gonna get the best beer in the World...

Anyway, I already have it, so, any answer to my questions?:mug:

That's a bad beer. It's loved by some, but it tastes like Fruity Pebbles, the kids' cereal.

Leinenkugels is owned by BMC, and makes only lagers. Even their nut brown ale is a lager. :drunk:

I don't care for it either...

But how does a guy get to 500 posts on a homebrewing forum without ever having drank a beer, much less brewed one??????:confused:

Ok, tried it. Didn't like it.

Either way, I'm happy. Now I have a starting point to make comparisons.:rockin:

So...is there a beer that's sweeter and with a whole lot more body than that one?

Ok, tried it. Didn't like it.

Either way, I'm happy. Now I have a starting point to make comparisons.:rockin:

So...is there a beer that's sweeter and with a whole lot more body than that one?

Can you find a commercial Maibock? They are out this time of year, usually, as they are seasonal beers. They are full of body, with no hops flavor, and not really "sweet" but not bitter either.

They also make coffee-like beers like milk stouts or even milk chocolate stouts, and those are black beers with a roast flavor like sweetened coffe.

Can you find a commercial Maibock? They are out this time of year, usually, as they are seasonal beers. They are full of body, with no hops flavor, and not really "sweet" but not bitter either.

They also make coffee-like beers like milk stouts or even milk chocolate stouts, and those are black beers with a roast flavor like sweetened coffe.

Not a clue... But I'm willing to try. Any brands you'd recommend?

Inodoro_Pereyra said:
Very funny. :D I hadn't even noticed I had 500 posts...

Anyway, now I'm confused. :(

Yooper, I know you like the bitter stuff. Is it bad because it's not bitter, or is it really bad quality? I understand that, for $1.50, I'm not gonna get the best beer in the World...

Anyway, I already have it, so, any answer to my questions?:mug:

You're confused...I don't know about everyone else, but I'm beyond confused

I didn't like beer for many years either. I was always a sweeter drink kinda person, vodka and whatever, etc etc. Some interesting belgians and dark beers got me into it at first. I basically started with the most expensive beers and worked my way backwards.

If you want something sweeter, try Duchess De Bourgogne.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745

Inodoro_Pereyra said:
About what?:confused:

About 500+ posts and just having your first beer! Glad to have people here and learning, but just very confusing.

Also, I'd try something simple find a local brewry, good place to take SWMBO. You get good beer, she gets good food. Also you can get some delicious beer straight from the source! I'd say try a brown ale.

My newest favorite from the store is Leffe blonde. Its kinda light, sweet, and tingly all in one but the abv is 6.6 so be careful. I think the aroma was what I like the most about it though, sorry I am not better at elaborating on how it tastes, other than it is tasty! I got a 6 pack from meijers.

About what?:confused:

About 500+ posts and just having your first beer! Glad to have people here and learning, but just very confusing.

There are 3 main reasons why I'm a member of this forum, all of which have combined to get me to the 500 post count:

1. To learn about beer, and brewing. Both of which I know very little about.

2. To help others with the things I do know about, mainly electricity, electronics, and physics.

3. To share my opinions, and learn other people's opinions, on things that may or may not be related to brewing.

The post count is just a number. I'm a member of many different forums, on many different disciplines. In all of them I have found members with thousands of posts, and many years on that forum, to be ignorant, self inflated, pompous pricks, and others to be great people, just as I have found some newbies to be unrepented idiots, and others to be very nice, knowledgeable people. In the end, all that matters is how helpful you are to others.

Leffe blonde, check. Thank you.

For what I read here, there are several factors that may affect the quality of draft beer, so, since I'm not qualified to distinguish (yet) between a "bad" beer and one I just don't like, I want to stick to bottles, if at all possible.

Do you think you will try homebrewing if you get into enjoying beer? If so, you must be of the most knowledgeable newbies ever if you've been reading on this site for that long, I've learned tons in the last few weeks. :mug:

I KNOW I will try homebrewing, whether I like the beer or not.
What drives me is learning the process, not enjoying the results. If I do enjoy the results, even better.
Actually, I have already been brewing for a couple of months, just not beer, because I don't have the money to buy all the stuff. But I have brewed (using chick peas) 4 batches already, and have toasted and malted them. Of course it's not the same as brewing beer, but it's a start.

As for being knowledgeable...about brewing, not even close. I'm as green as they come. But, hopefully, once I get to practice what I learn...

Back