1in Blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
How do you secure the 1in blow off tube to your carboy? Does it seal right if I just cram it in the opening? I dont have a 1in tube yet, so I havnt tried, but I'm pretty sure I need one.

I'm currently using a tube attached to part of my 3 piece Airlock, I came home last night after day two of fermentation on my Freedom Fighter Scotch Ale only to find my airlock and tube in the middle of the room and a nice mess to scrub off the ceiling and walls!! The small holes at the tip of my airlock were completly clogged :(

I have 2 tubes(not sure of size) but one I can shove directly into the mouth of the carboy, the other fits snugly into the small hole in my rubber stopper. Both work great. Avoid the airlock all together with a blow off tube.

I'm currently using a tube attached to part of my 3 piece Airlock

So what's your problem? Seems like you have it solved.

Are you just looking for a way to make it more complicated?

I'm currently using a tube attached to part of my 3 piece Airlock, I came home last night after day two of fermentation on my Freedom Fighter Scotch Ale only to find my airlock and tube in the middle of the room and a nice mess to scrub off the ceiling and walls!! The small holes at the tip of my airlock were completly clogged :(

By the way, there's nothing wrong with this. Cut the X shaped plastic off the bottom tip of your airlock, though. It's good for nothing except clogging.

After that the only advantage a 1 inch OD tube gives you over the smaller tube with airlock method is that more krausen is likely to get into your water/sanitizer/vodka with the smaller tube. No big deal, really.

Thats a good idea. Thats what I'll do. Just cut off the tip of the Airlock with the 4 little holes. Thanks guys!

Back