Hop strainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1 1/2" ball valve on my boil kettle. I used to do the open and filter bag in a bucket thing. It worked, but I like the Sparky filter. I have a hopback on my new build and may go back to it. The Sparky filter does a better job with the pellet hops. I never put whole hops in the strainer bag though. I use the Sparky and a home made Hop Stopper to filter the rest.

Mine for the Blingmann arrived in time for the first brew of the year.

HopHolder-Blichmann.jpg

One piece stainless with a 4"to3" PVC adapter and a 5" worm clamp with a 5 gallon paint strainer.

Is that a custom frame you had built for the hop strainer Ed? Is that somethign we can find locally?

Ed's holder looks custom to me. How are the rest of you holding the PVC? Kinda looks like all-thread. I couldn't find Lil' Sparky's original thread. Is anyone using the bag with an electric element?

Ed's holder looks custom to me. How are the rest of you holding the PVC? Kinda looks like all-thread. I couldn't find Lil' Sparky's original thread. Is anyone using the bag with an electric element?

No problem with electric keggle, 10 or 5g batch.

Sparky's thread is in DIY, look at the stickys for Project Locator thread. It's in there.

Seriously though, there are about as many strategies of dealing with hop filtering as there are brewers. So far today I've read about whirlpooling, Hopstopper, hop strainers, french presses, hopbacks, the Sparky, paint strainer bags, SS strainers, filter media....and all matter of DIY problem solving.

I am just going to throw my lot in with the paint strainer bag. For me it gets most of the hops, then I run my chilled wort through a fine SS sieve--which aerates and removes any remaining hop trub and cold break. After that, fermentation and secondary racking take care of the rest.

I am one of those unfortunate brewers for which the laws of physics vis-a-vis whirlpooling just never seemed to apply.

I built the hop paint strainer bag device and used it for awhile. I found that I wasn't getting good hop utilization, especially with late addition hops. The hops would just absorb a good percentage of the wort and after transferring my wort to the carboy, I'd be left with a great-smelling, hoppy, liquidy paint thinner bag full of hops. However, that indicated that all of that hoppy goodness was being left in the brew kettle and not in my carboy. I agree with the people that have said that you really have to increase the hops to get what you're looking for when you use the paint thinner bags.

Then, my PVC collar melted just from the steam rising from my boil (which is not a very vigorous boil at all). So, I no longer use the strainer bags.

I'm still looking for a good solution to the hop straining problem. Ideally I'd whirlpool to get maximum hop aroma from late additions and then siphon (I don't have a drain valve on my kettle) with a hop filter to keep the hops in the kettle.

hmm......
I was going to build one this weekend.
Was going to do IPA that had a hop addition every 10minutes.

But after reading goetzUM problem, I am rethinking the idea.

Any other imput?

It's actually really good for doing many hop additions. Having an open place to throw the hops makes things easy and makes transferring easy as well. The only drawback is hop utilization. That and the fact mine melted, but maybe if you have a large enough brewpot that your PVC collar is far enough above the liquid that the steam won't melt it?

If the steam is melting many collars, you'd think someone would start selling BIG (maybe 12" diameter) SS "baskets" - kinda like a round fry basket - but with much tighter mesh. Use the same basic suspension method but allow the basket to have a variable depth to ensure that most of it stays submerged. Or make several depths available to allow a good match with wort depth. I'd sure buy as long as the price stayed under $100 or so. :cool:

I've been using the same one for more about 30 batches. I haven't had any problem with steam. I do a pretty intense boil, especially if I need to boil down a lot.

I think the problem might be with the flames hitting the metal rods that overhang the pot. I have an electric kettle so no flame, no melt. Just a guess.

Call me a tight wad, but if a paint strainer bag is going to decrease the hop utilization,
There is no way i am going to spend the $$$ for hops and then not get every last bit of flavor from them.

I like the idea, allot especially if you are doing a lot of hop additions.
As for the melting collar, I don't see a problem with that, as long as the plastic isn't melting into your boil kettle.

To be honest, I'm not seeing a huge lack in utilization. If it is a problem, it is a marginal one (but resolves a much bigger one at the same time). My IPA got a bronze in a recent competition and when I brought the keg to our last meeting, it was drained quickly.

Call me a tight wad, but if a paint strainer bag is going to decrease the hop utilization,
There is no way i am going to spend the $$$ for hops and then not get every last bit of flavor from them.

Why would you believe there would be a loss of hop utilization from using one? The hops are still going to come into contact with boiling wort which will isomerize the alpha acids, and the movement of the boiling liquid is going to spread the isomerized wort just fine.....all this does is allow you to pull the hop gunk out in one fell swoop, after the have been untilized. The hop's job is long done by then.

I built the hop paint strainer bag device and used it for awhile. I found that I wasn't getting good hop utilization, especially with late addition hops. The hops would just absorb a good percentage of the wort and after transferring my wort to the carboy, I'd be left with a great-smelling, hoppy, liquidy paint thinner bag full of hops. However, that indicated that all of that hoppy goodness was being left in the brew kettle and not in my carboy. I agree with the people that have said that you really have to increase the hops to get what you're looking for when you use the paint thinner bags.

Then, my PVC collar melted just from the steam rising from my boil (which is not a very vigorous boil at all). So, I no longer use the strainer bags.

I'm still looking for a good solution to the hop straining problem. Ideally I'd whirlpool to get maximum hop aroma from late additions and then siphon (I don't have a drain valve on my kettle) with a hop filter to keep the hops in the kettle.

This is what i saw for really the first negative feedback and was concerned was all.
I like to do a little research usually before i go and do something....even if i have had a few beers :mug:
Better to ask other people for there opinions and experience from this DIY before i go and make one.

I've made a whole lot of beer using this setup. Haven't had one person give me any feedback on the taste that leads me to believe I'm losing something from the hops. If the paint strainers are like the ones I use from HD, that mesh isn't tight enough to keep hop oils from coming through, and they're big enough that the hops are getting plenty exposed to the boiling wort, so I have a hard time seeing how they can reduce the hop utilization. I've never whirlpooled, but my guess is the hop pile left in the middle smells pretty hoppy when you throw it out, too. ;)

If the steam is melting many collars, you'd think someone would start selling BIG (maybe 12" diameter) SS "baskets" - kinda like a round fry basket - but with much tighter mesh. Use the same basic suspension method but allow the basket to have a variable depth to ensure that most of it stays submerged. Or make several depths available to allow a good match with wort depth. I'd sure buy as long as the price stayed under $100 or so. :cool:

:off:Haven't seen anyone selling them, but there's a thread where we're engineering a basket like you describe above. Check out my sig for the "UNIBREW 5500"......:mug:

I've been thinking about building a basket too. Just haven't spent the time on it lately. I have a large piece of SS mesh, and I'm just trying to think of a good way to use it, that an idiot like me can manage to build.

I'm actually thinking about using a paint strainer instead. Maybe I'll build both.

Something that occurred to me, those of you who wonder about how to use it while adding your wort chiller, who says you can't put your wort chiller in before you start the boil, but the hopbag on and let her rip? The only reason we add it in the last 15 is to sanitize it. But some folks with rims or herms systems have the chiller permanently installed in the kettle and just flip the switch to turn the water on.

I am trying to think of a way a person could build a handle that goes on the hopbag strainer.

something that would make it a wee bit easier to pull it out without dropping it.

I think ya could set it in a empty 5 gal bucket while your put your chiller in....But something like a hook that would make it easier to grab it.
hmmm something to think about all day at work :)

Something that occurred to me, those of you who wonder about how to use it while adding your wort chiller, who says you can't put your wort chiller in before you start the boil, but the hopbag on and let her rip? The only reason we add it in the last 15 is to sanitize it. But some folks with rims or herms systems have the chiller permanently installed in the kettle and just flip the switch to turn the water on.

Just have to be super careful on the in / out arms that reach over your kettle on the Wort Chiller.

They are going to get super hot sitting in a boil for hour+
Could get burned easy.
I always make sure as soon as i put WC in the keggle i have the hoses already hooked up....Doesn't take long for it to get hot.
But other than risk of getting burnt...It would work....

I've thought about dropping an IC into the basket when it's time to chill, I currently have a chillzilla CFC and it's awesome.....but i have to recirculate with it and it can be a PITA to get a march pump to push the wort through all that copper.

An IC might be the answer....I'd most likely chop the arms and put some quality QD's on it.

I know with my Wort chiller, I have gotten lazy and thrown it in the keggle and added my last 10 min hop addition and put in the Irish moss "when i remember" and time i go and get the hose and get everything hooked up the blasted ends are freakin hot!!
Almost enough to burn myself. After that one time i have learned to hook the hoses up first before dunking it in.

:off: How many uses have you guys gotten out of the 5 gal paint strainers?
Washing machine safe?

How many uses have you guys gotten out of the 5 gal paint strainers?
Washing machine safe?

Mine start developing holes after about 10 uses. I keep a few extra on hand... they are cheap.

I've never put it in the washing machine (that's not really a bad idea, though). I hose mine off and then leave it dangling in oxyclean, in my BK, for a few days. It gets fairly clean that way.

How many uses have you guys gotten out of the 5 gal paint strainers?
Washing machine safe?

I have put mine in the washing machine twice. It doesn't hurt it or punch holes in it at all.

I have only used the pvc/paint strainer twice now and haven't even tasted a finished batch but I too am a little worried about hop utilization, especially with late addition hops. If you have a beer that has 4+ oz of hops in it that paint bag is pretty full by the end and I'm curious to see if enough wort flows through the hops to extract the tasty oils.

I just bottled my first batch that i did with this set up. Its a Pale Ale that i add 2 oz of cascade at flameout. When I bottled it there was noticeably less hop flavour in the beer than previous batches. I'll crack my first bottle in about a week and see how it tastes.

I use a CFC and am looking forward to using some sort of strainer. I will also be adding a spigot to my kettle, so I can must let her rip once the boil is over. The strainer will keep the gunk out of my chiller, and I will have both hands free to do whatever, like cleaning up, or surfing pr0n. Just whatever.

For the utilization issues, I hear people talking a lot about late addition hops. Why not throw the finishing/zero minute hops outside of the bag? Cleaning up 1/3 is still better than 3/3.

Also, whatever straining method (bazooka/whirlpool/HS/etc) already in place will work more effectively on the last addition/break/moss.

Do you squeeze the pant strainer bag when you lift it out of the kettle? I did on a batch recently, and I tasted it when racking, and it had a bit of the grassy flavor--thought it might have been from the squeeze. (I normally do not)

I have a 1/2" ball valve on my kettle. I just use an ale pail with a paint strainer in it, let the cooled wort fly out into the ale pail. Then I pull out the paint strainer with the hops, and pour the wort into my fermenter. It's one extra step but it takes care of aeration, and you don't have to worry about hop utilization like you do with a bag.

Interesting, its so simple yet solves the problem entirely. But how do you sanitize the straining bag? boil? soak in sanitizer?

I've had some success with what a friend told me he uses - a "chore boy" copper scrubber that you plug the outflow with at the bottom of the kettle. Keeps a decent amount of the hops out.

For the utilization issues, I hear people talking a lot about late addition hops. Why not throw the finishing/zero minute hops outside of the bag? Cleaning up 1/3 is still better than 3/3.

Also, whatever straining method (bazooka/whirlpool/HS/etc) already in place will work more effectively on the last addition/break/moss.

Do you squeeze the pant strainer bag when you lift it out of the kettle? I did on a batch recently, and I tasted it when racking, and it had a bit of the grassy flavor--thought it might have been from the squeeze. (I normally do not)

I like the idea of throwing the finishing hops outside the bag.

I am now drinking a beer that i have made 5X w/out a strainer and 1X with the strainer and there is a huge difference in the hop flavour. The recipe calls for 2oz Cascade at flameout and I can safely say the hop flavour isn't present in this current batch made with the HS.

FWIW I am abandoning the homemade strainer for a while because I just bought a bazooka from ebay. I mostly brew with whole hops and I figure the bazooka in combination with whirlpooling will work for me. I'll be sure to let everyone know though.

My next batch will be with the hop pellets loose in the kettle, pump to the top of the cleaned MLT (Rubbermaid 10 gal) with a paint strainer stretched over the opening and hanging down inside. The threads will hold the strainer until the top screws back on - then it's locked in. The second pump will pick up the strained wort from the spigot on the MLT, run it thru the plate chiller and into the fermenters. Should get full utilization and no clogging of the plate chiller. I have QD's on the chiller, so it's very quick to flush/reverse/flush several times to clean it out - then drain and straight into the freezer. Looks like the only downside will be cleaning the MLT twice, buts it's pre-boil and very quick. Wayne (Bargain Fittings) is sending a union to make removal and cleaning of the false bottom a little easier. :ban:

Mine for the Blingmann arrived in time for the first brew of the year.

HopHolder-Blichmann.jpg

One piece stainless with a 4"to3" PVC adapter and a 5" worm clamp with a 5 gallon paint strainer.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is this stainless piece common or something you fabricated? I'm looking through hop strainer threads and this solution is the most elegant I've seen so far...

Stainless is the way to go, but they are usually DIY fabbed. I don't have a pic of my latest one which has only a 4" collar but here's an older pic of one of mine (I now have 3 for different situations).

photo-4-1.jpg

I like the setup Irrenarzt is using. After reading this thread, if you're using pellets, what if you went with say a 2" stainless coupling? You could move it to the side and put your IC in for the last 5 min. of the boil. You only need the small throat to add the pellets (or others for that matter). As far as dry hopping, you can split the addition to about 1/4oz. per tea ball. At $0.99 to $2.00 each, they're cheap enough. Of course at that price, with 16 of them, you could use them instead of a strainer for most batches.
I do "no chill" and ferment in Sankes so I'm looking for a way to use something on my system. I think I've come up with something. If it works, I'll post it.

Does having a lot of hop trub in the fermenter affect the flavor of the beer?

No. If you're not chilling with a plate chiller (or CFC + whole hops), there's nothing wrong with dumping the whole thing into the fermenter and racking it off the trub after fermentation is over.

I've had some success with what a friend told me he uses - a "chore boy" copper scrubber that you plug the outflow with at the bottom of the kettle. Keeps a decent amount of the hops out.

I used this technique in my brew this weekend. I just stuck the stainless steel scrubby over the end of my dip tub and it filtered out everything (I also whirlpooled). I did not get any break or hop pellets in my plate chiller or ferm bucket.

I picked up a bunch of them for $1.99 at GFS. After one use, they appear reusable. I rinsed all the trub and hops out of it and them soaked it in PBW.

Back