Whats your favorite hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to brewing so I've only used a few. Cascades, Amarillo, and Saaz come to mind. Just curious what some favorites out there are and what flavors they impart so I can continue to expand my horizons.

Try Simcoe. There is something about cat urine that goes great in Pale Ales.

Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Citra and Simcoe
Most of those have a nice citrus/grapefruit aroma and flavor

I like the Zew Zealand Varietals: Rakau, Pacific Gem, NZ Saaz, NZ Hallertau. THey have a fruitier rather than citrusy quality.

Goldings and Fuggles (or Willamette) for classic English ales. Nugget makes a great IPA, heavy herbal, nice alternative to the citrus hops.

My favorite is Hop on Pop :)

...next favorites are Cascade and Citra. I'm a sucker for some grapefruit goodness. I'm admittedly not well versed in hop characteristics though.

I like Cascade but after using Warrior in a IPA this weekend I think I like it's smell much better....we'll see

I usually like earthy/spicy hops like Fuggles and Northern Brewer more than piney/citrusy ones, but it depends on the brew. Centennial's a great American-style hop.

amarillo works great in a vast array of beers. And for whatever reason im a fan of warrior-love the flavor

EKG is my favorite. Others that I have liked include Challenger, Whitbread Goldings Variety, Fuggles, and Perle.

Whatever they put in Mighty Arrow. Every time I open a bottle, I stand there and sniff it several moments before I pour it. While I drink it, I make it a point to inhale through my nose. When I am done, I sniff the glass and bottle. My wife thinks I am crazy. It's like catnip.

Amarillo? Simcoe? Not sure what is in Mighty Arrow, but I am hooked.

Back