Most Hop Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunt1317

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew up another batch of golden goodness, and was wondering what the largest amount of hop pellets you've added to a 5 gallon batch was.
What hops were they, and how much did you add?

The beer I'll be bottling this weekend is a big, hoppy imperial red, and I have used 9 oz of hops. 6 in the boil and 3 dry hop, all Simcoe, Cascade, and Centennial. I have heard of people using a full pound, but it's mostly dry hop, since extra bitterness gets you nowhere.

I made an imperial pilsner once with 18.2oz of hops in a 7.5 gallon post boil batch. Had to increase the batch size to accommodate for wort absorption from the hops. 3.7oz of those hops were dryhopped.

I recently did a Pliny clone that clocked in around 18-19oz of hops. I also brewed the Zymurgy recipe for "Colombarillo" where I used 13.25 oz of hops (which turned out amazing BTW). The key though is not the amount of hops but which hops are being used. These IIPA's often have a a lot of high alpha Simcoe, Columbus, Chinook, Warrior, etc. in the recipe and a little goes a long way. Montanaandy

My next brew is going to be an all Amarillo IPA with 6 oz in the boil and 2 oz dry hopped. Most I've used so far...

Just brewed this 3 days ago (14.25oz):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/time-brew-some-big-beer-i-iipa-feedback-suggestions-welcome-161458/
Note: not all of the hops were listed in the picture.

Edit: if you are worried about sludge, buy some paint strainer bags. 3 bucks gets you two of them and I double them up. This is about 8.25oz of hops in the bag:
18157_290842957676_517337676_3565610_6943773_n.jpg

Back