Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Can you brew with it? Is it more yeast, or more yogurt? I've only heard of the stuff, and from what research I've done I can't determin if it makes alcohol.

Its just a question. The idea of a "mushroom" growth in my carboy makes me ill anywho.

Being that is is a SCOBY I would suggest not to use it. SCOBY stands for Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast. You can make fermented tea from it but I would think that it would taste funny for fermenting grains.

The only other thing I can suggest since I never used it is to try it out and see.

Good Luck!

- WW

I've tasted a "health drink" fermented by a guy who owns and runs a gym. He made a raspberry kombucha and he told me that it would have an alcohol % around 1%. Why he called it a health drink I have no idea but it tasted good, different but good.

Kombucha is used for medicinal purposes. If you go into any herbal health food store they can tell you more about it. It is a very simple old alement remedy that supposidly boosts your immune system while detoxing you at the same time. There have been numerous reports and studies on Kombucha (pronounce comm- boo-cha) and its affects on human health. Even the FDA has perfomed studies.

Maybe this scoby can be used for beer. I would think more lambic style, maybe!

Who knows?

- WW

Kombucha on average contains less then 1% of alcohol. It is beneficial because of all the strains of beneficial gut bacteria it is able to produce.
We are more bacteria then we are human!

Best of wishes
Wizard works

Yeast, sugar, and black tea are the main ingredients in kombucha. For a week or more, the mixture is set aside. Bacteria, acids, and a small amount of alcohol form in the drink during this time. Fermentation is the term for this process, which is similar to how cabbage is preserved as sauerkraut or kimchi, or milk is turned into yoghurt.

A SCOBY is a film formed by bacteria and acids on top of a liquid (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). A SCOBY can be used to ferment more kombucha.

Since I've never used it, the only other thing I can recommend is to give it a shot. Personally Many people believe it relieves a wide range of health issues, from hair loss to cancer and AIDS.

Back