few newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Well my first batch of lager is sitting in the keg now and will be for the next month, although im still not 100% sure it has worked, as when I looked after about 5 days of it fermenting there was no froth on the top at all. There was bubbles coming out of the airlock at a rapid rate though.

How much froth should u get during fermenting? As if you are supposed to get loads then I am certain my beer has not worked (it is a beginners kit in a can)

Also as mentioned in my previous question if I have primed my keg and put my lager in it, will I have to prime any bottles that I may want to put some lager into if I want to chill some.

Thanks

Chris

The froth is the kruesen which will vary in amount depending on the temp and the activity of the yeast. There is no certain amount that you need in order to consider your brew a success or not. On my first batch it dissapeared after the third day and my second batch it dissapeared after day 5. Just make sure you can lager at the correct temps and be patient and I'm sure your brew will be delicious.

chris_newton said:
Also as mentioned in my previous question if I have primed my keg and put my lager in it, will I have to prime any bottles that I may want to put some lager into if I want to chill some.
Chris

Did you prime your whole batch before kegging? Priming a partial batch just for bottling can be tricky but it can be done. If you haven't added any priming sugar yet I would suggest not putting any in your keg and just force carbing it. That's just me.

Seriously, I have never had a batch of anything I have fermented 'not work' as such. I mean I guess it is possible but the chances of that occuring are fairly unlikely.

Yeah, after 5 days most of the froth will have died down. This is normal

if it's a true lager that you used lager yeast on, then you will not see activity like you would in ale. the cooler fermenting temperatures will keep activity slow, therefore producing less diacetyl and esthers, and usually taking 10-14 days to ferment. they are bottom fermenting yeast, not top fermenting like ale yeasts. you are probably just fine and right on target!

Back