Vienna motherload

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
I recently came upon a ton of Vienna malt from a brewer who decided to get out of the hobby.

I have like 40 lbs. of the stuff. I need to use it, but at 2lbs. a batch, this stuff is going to be sitting in the garage for a long, long time.

Anyone ever brew a beer that you enjoyed that uses a large proportion of Vienna?

Mmmm.... Vienna lager....

Can you lager? Lots of German beers can use a high percentage of Vienna malt, not just Vienna lagers but also things like Oktoberfests can use a fair amount. I've done IPAs with three pounds of Munich; I bet you could make a nice, unique IPA using three or four pounds of Vienna to provide backbone and character to the malt bill.

Someone made an all Vienna beer for the SMaSH swap.

(Single Malt, and Single Hop)

I did a quick search and found that it was Deathbrewer. Looks like the hop was N. Brewer.

I made an all Vienna beer using San Francisco Lager yeast and it is something.

My first impression, is that it is too much. I mean, you actually don't realize how malty Vienna is until you do an all Vienna. At least I didn't.

However, this beer has an incredible flavor. Like I said, at first tasting, it definitely took me by surprise, but I can barely keep my hands off it. However, I wouldn't make it that way again. I would cut it with some two row or Pilsner.

So, that is what I would recommend. 60-75% Vienna, 25-40% Two row, and some noble German hops. I bet it would be delightful.

my SMaSH brew was one of the best beers ever:

10 lbs Vienna
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 20 min
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min

Nottingham Yeast

Amazing APA

and by APA you mean anglo saxon pale ale, right Deathbrewer...

i kid, i kid.

heh. if you're referring to the color, i was actually quite suprised...it wasn't too light.

i'm going to try the same recipe with a touch of chocolate malt and the san francisco lager yeast. i think it will make an AWESOME steam beer :)

Try my Oktoberfest Ale. It uses 5.5 # for a 5 gallon batch. If you do 10 gallon batches, it will be gone in no time.

nah, i was joking about how its an "American" pale ale but its made with an austro-german grain and potentially german hops (though obviously it could have been the us strain of northern brewer).

Man, you guys are great.

I will probably start with Death's APA.

I have the equipment to lager, but have yet to try to make a lager. I will probably go with a more basic lager for my first batch, but Bobby's Vienna Lager recipe will probably not be that far behind.

SRFeldman79 said:
nah, i was joking about how its an "American" pale ale but its made with an austro-german grain and potentially german hops (though obviously it could have been the us strain of northern brewer).
ahh...that was my 2nd guess ;)

it was US Norther Brewer and it DEFINITELY is an APA by taste. It was fantastic, dude, seriously. Everyone who tried it thought it was the most wonderful beer I've ever made and I usually only let people try my good brews.

i think i'm going to make it again this weekend. I just didn't know where to get Northern Brewer (I'm out :() but i just heard that SF Brewcraft has it!

:rockin:

i totally believe you. i haven't used vienna yet but maybe i can make some kind of vienna mini mash for an ale, since i cant lager.

Back