Cycling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Any cycling fans out there?

Unfortunately, lately I've been mostly biking indoors. Between work and taking care of my daughter, most of the time I have for exercising is on my lunch break. So I go to the gym in my building, punch in a hill climbing route and bike 8 to 10 miles in 45 minutes.

Today I introduced my daughter to road biking. She's 7. The completed the construction on a new 15 mile highway near my place and build a running / biking trail along the side of it. I loaded up our bikes and drove down to the trail.

She was nervous and very dramatic about being nervous at the start. The start of the trail ran between two fences and it went downhill and into the wind. After a quarter mile of her dragging her feet and trying to get her pedals just perfect to begin peddling, I told her if this is what she was going to do the whole time, I wasn't going to bring her back again.

So she finally started peddling. After another quarter mile, she noticed how far away the car was and wanted to bike back. So we headed back.

She liked going uphill with the wind a lot better. We got back to the car and she said, "Can we do it again?"

I said, " Sure."

We ended up doing half-mile to full mile laps along the trail for a total of 6 miles over 90 minutes.

It was awesome. I'm taking her back tomorrow.

I love pro cycling. I have an addiction to mountain biking. Some say obsession, I don't disagree. I used to road bike a lot, but I prefer the woods. I still do a road ride from time to time. My dad is a roadie. On his 65th birthday, we did a 65 mile ride.

Casual biker here. I like doing 10-20 miles in the morning. My biggest accomplishment was a century (100 miles) a couple of years ago.

used to put 150-250 miles a week riding road. Recently I moved to a much less road riding friendly town and much more mountain bike friendly town. Got to get back into shape for quick burst of power instead of steady long periods of output.

Huge cycling fan. Worked in a bike shop 10 years through HS and college.

Kids (6) love cycling, they're still on TWhls, so I run with them.

Cycling and beer go together so well.

You all sound like my brother. He has one ride he does on the weekends that has to be at least 60 miles.

I have some good roads around me for biking. I just wish I had the time to be able to bike that much. For now I'm settling for dropping some weight and teaching my daughter some good habits.

Cheers!

I ride 7 miles each day to/from work on my mountain bike gone hybrid. Would love to hit the trails more often but taking care of my 1.5 year old makes it tough to find time. I guess it's time to get a toddler seat and hit some greenways.

I've managed to scrape a bit of extra money together and I've worked my rides up to a minimum of an hour. I'm thinking that I need to improve my seating arrangements if I'm going to move up to two hour rides.

Right now I have an old gel seat and I'm wearing regular running shorts to ride. Would my best option be to spend $100 on a nicer seat or $100 on padded biker shorts? The guy at the shop wanted to sell me both, but I think one will have to wait for next year.

If the bike is setup to fit you properly I would go with a new seat. I have shorts but do not wear them unless I plan on a long ride.What bike do you ride?

Out of shape cyclist here. After doing my first sub-6 hour century two or so years ago, I took it easy for a year to move and get married, and I'm dogging it this year. I'll get there, though.

Right now I have an old gel seat and I'm wearing regular running shorts to ride. Would my best option be to spend $100 on a nicer seat or $100 on padded biker shorts? The guy at the shop wanted to sell me both, but I think one will have to wait for next year.

Get the cycling shorts. They fit better when you're in the saddle (notice how your running shorts bunch up around the seat - you're asking for chafing and blisters in a bad spot.) Check out Nashbar.com. I bet you can find good cycling shorts for much less than $100.

Thanks for the website. I checked it out this morning. I think the shorts I was looking at for $80 in the shop are 50% off on the website.

It also occurred to me that I should check out REI and Sheels before I buy anything. I've had pretty good luck picking up good stuff on clearance on REI's website in the past.

Thanks for the website. I checked it out this morning. I think the shorts I was looking at for $80 in the shop are 50% off on the website.

It also occurred to me that I should check out REI and Sheels before I buy anything. I've had pretty good luck picking up good stuff on clearance on REI's website in the past.

Nashbar or Performance, if you can go to a shop to check the shorts out, they are all created equal. The shorts with the chamios inside are much nicer I think.

Also a cyclist without enough to time ride but get out as often as I can.

Nashbar or Performance, if you can go to a shop to check the shorts out, they are all created equal. The shorts with the chamios inside are much nicer I think.

Also a cyclist without enough to time ride but get out as often as I can.

Yep - the chamois is built-in padding and built-in jock strap all in one.

I've been an avid cyclist, both mountain and road, over the past 10 years or so. I use to race. I occasionally do some bike packing and light touring, but more than anything, I do regular recreational riding, grocery shopping, and some bike commuting nowadays. I find a good saddle and properly fitted bike to really do the trick. I have a Brooks Swallow on my road bike and a WTB Rocket on my mountain bike. I can easily ride 4+ hours on those without padded shorts. I wear athletic boxer briefs that wick away sweat and dry quickly as well as any athletic shorts over them. I had a bunch of loose padded shorts that I cut the pads out of and use them now over my briefs. For me, the pads are bulky and hot. They became unnecessary when I found good saddles that worked for me.

I found a pair of Novara baggy shorts with chamois on clearance at REI for $24. Picked up a Selle Royal mountain bike saddle for $60 too. I may go back and pick up some new grips next time I'm in the area.

I like cycling. I'm doing a 60 miles bikepacking trip next weekend. Ride to a rustic campground 60 miles away and camping for 3 days. My average ride is ~20 miles, mostly road/paved trail. I'm trying to get into mountain biking more, but it is kind of hard.

As for shorts, I use these, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ELBQV8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 underneath basketball shorts. They are very comfortable on the bike. I also like that they are designed to be worn under clothing. I really don't like the MAMIL (middle-aged men in lycra) look, even it if it will increase my MPH by .03 MPH. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted baggy shorts not so much because I don't like the lycra/spandex look but because I want some pockets for my keys and phone.

I looked at liners but most don't have the chamois.

I got my last ride up to 13.7 miles. I would have gone longer but a storm was moving in and tumbleweeds were passing me.

Had to pop into this thread to see if there were any Iowans in here (or any cyclists going to be in Iowa this week). Sunday is the start of RAGBRAI 2013 -- the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. They start at the Missouri River on the west side of the state, and over the span of the next week, bike all the way to the Mississippi River on the east side of the state. One big sweat-soaked-spandex rolling party, peddling across Iowa. Daily routes usually average around 50 miles, but one day is always 75-85, with an optional loop to make it an even 100. Usually stops through at least a couple towns along the way. Last year the route went right past my back yard - was a steady stream of bikes from about 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Pretty impressive, considering the previous overnight stop was about 60 miles away, and that days overnight stop was another 15 miles down the road.

I'm jumping into this thread to say, what a great Tour de France this year! Oh, Frome be clean! (BTW, I think cycling is the only sport that remotely is trying to clean up)

My SWMBO and I will go out and rack up a 20 mi at least once a month. We have here in the north state a trail system called "The River Trail" It is about 60 miles of paved trails and about 60 or more miles of maintained dirt trails. The longest we have done together is a 60 mile round trip from our house to Shasta Dam across the dam and back home. The KILLER thing about the trail system is once your on it there is no car traffic and there is everything from flats to some MONSTER hills and every ride in between. The trail system runs through parks and next to the Sacramento River... It is KILLER!

I ride an older Trek road bike and my lovely bride rides my older mountain bike with slim tires. We don't go out to set any land speed records or anything just hang out together and get some exercise. We will average right at 15-16 MPH.

Cheers
Jay

I wanted baggy shorts not so much because I don't like the lycra/spandex look but because I want some pockets for my keys and phone.

I got my last ride up to 13.7 miles. I would have gone longer but a storm was moving in and tumbleweeds were passing me.

Get a little pack to hang under the seat - they're great for keys, phone, spare inner tube, etc.

Unsolicited advice alert: Get it big enough to hold your stuff AND SWMBO's because she will make you hold her keys and phone too, and if you put a spare tube in there, get one of those ripstop Tyvek mailing envelopes and cut off a corner big enough to hold your tube and wrap the tube up in that. It keeps the keys from poking holes in your tube.

That's something I might look at doing in the spring. My mom told me last weekend that she found the Bianchi I bought when I was a kid, back in 1985. I guess it's been lurking in their cellar since I moved out. I can get it tuned up and put some gear on it. Then my wife can ride the Cannondale.

Those ones do. :)

Get a little pack to hang under the seat - they're great for keys, phone, spare inner tube, etc.

Unsolicited advice alert: Get it big enough to hold your stuff AND SWMBO's because she will make you hold her keys and phone too, and if you put a spare tube in there, get one of those ripstop Tyvek mailing envelopes and cut off a corner big enough to hold your tube and wrap the tube up in that. It keeps the keys from poking holes in your tube.
+1 I really can't stand having anything in my pockets while I'm riding. I'm not sure why, but it just bugs me. Of course, I have a handlebar bag and panniers on my bike at all times, but I use it for fun, transportation, grocery getting, etc and I don't really care about speed.

I've a friend who's currently peddling across the country to raise money for a charity. She dreamed of doing this since she was a little girl and is finally making it happen. Her insights and stories are great, especially for any young woman/girls who are getting into the sport and have big dreams. Check out her journey:
Roadtorhode.com

Big cyclist here, was a spinning instructor in college lol, lemme tell you those indoor spinning seat make your ass more sore than any century ride I've ever done, padded riding shorts/spandex help so much

You sir, are a true gentleman.

I don't know how gentalmanly. The Cannondale is 1994 vintage and has to weigh 6 times more than the Bianchi.

I finally got a not 102F day and took the bike out with the new saddle and new shorts. I completely blew away my previous best on the road. 19.25 miles in 1.75 hours. My previous best was 13 miles in 1.25 hours. I also increased my accent to 1500 feet from 1000 feet.

I feel bowlegged.

I saw a couple of those under the saddle bags. They look really handy. But I don't think I could put my phone in it and listen to music. I've tried the bicept holders and while I'm no body builder, those things are too tight on me.

I've managed to scrape a bit of extra money together and I've worked my rides up to a minimum of an hour. I'm thinking that I need to improve my seating arrangements if I'm going to move up to two hour rides.

Get a new saddle for sure...you can get Pearl Izumi shorts on Amazon for like 40 bucks a pair...they may not be the best but I have done week long cycling trips, and centuries in them with no issues.

That's cool. I'm nowhere near being able to do 80 miles yet.

Are there central Florida mountains or is that sarcasm?

Well, not exactly mountains, I grew up and biked in WI,MI,MN and later CO,ID,WY, those are mountains but they do make for some steep climbs for here in the flats+ the 99% humidity you have no problem working up a sweat.:D

That's cool. I'm nowhere near being able to do 80 miles yet.

Are there central Florida mountains or is that sarcasm?

Well...mountains may be pushing it...but when you are used to riding nothing but flats they sure seem like mountains..we rode Sugarloaf back in March as part of the Bike Florida tour. It was my first climb in years and I could certainly feel it..the ride down was a blast though! One day I'll take a trip up to the Blue Ridge and ride some real climbs...
We did a quick 14 miles yesterday...first time in the saddle in about two/three weeks....I am out of shape, and had a nice gash in my tire...on the plus side I did want to replace my stock tires...

Back