Austin homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Man

Reaction score
I just purchased the Scottish ale 80 shilling and I was wondering if the grains are going to arrive pre-crushed or not? If not, best method of doing it yourself without having to buy a mill right now.
Thanks.

Just use a rolling pin and a sturdy gallon ziplock freezer bag. Rolling them out on a big cutting board or a granite countertop will give you a decent crush. Roll out about 1/4 volume of the bag, then pour that into a bowl, and work on the rest. Don't overstuff the bag in case it pops open and don't forget to "burp" the air out of it before you start rolling. :)

H-Man said:
I just purchased the Scottish ale 80 shilling and I was wondering if the grains are going to arrive pre-crushed or not? If not, best method of doing it yourself without having to buy a mill right now.
Thanks.

Do you have a local homebrew club? I bet if you google you will find one. I would ask for someone local to mill the grains for you.

If you ordered all grain you should have selected milled or unmilled when configuring the recipe on the AHS web site. For partial mash they don't give an unmilled option so you should be fine.

When I order kits from Auston Home Brew, there is normally an option for milled or un-milled.

Hmmm. Maybe I overlooked the option. I know there were many drop down menus on that site. Ill see what I get this Thursday when it arrives. I don't know if any home brew stores in the columbus indiana area besides a winery that sells BB kits but they have a limited selection. Ill use the rolling pin method if need be.
Thanks

lots of people here use/have used a Corona mill. They are cheap and can usually be found at local thrift stores.

Ok, just reviewed the order and since I can only do extract, they already send milled grains. So I should be ok. Thanks for the quick responses to the subject. I should of read the fine print better.

Thanks again.

Hmmm. Maybe I overlooked the option. I know there were many drop down menus on that site. Ill see what I get this Thursday when it arrives. I don't know if any home brew stores in the columbus indiana area besides a winery that sells BB kits but they have a limited selection. Ill use the rolling pin method if need be.
Thanks

Hello, If Im not mistaken the default setting when ordering from Austin's is crushed grains, You can log into austin's site and look at your order and it should say what you chose, if its not what you wanted call them, they are great at helping with any problem, if you call them before the order is packed.

I use to use a 32 oz beer bottle to hand crush my grains before I got a mill, worked just fine.

Cheers :mug:

Back