Am i ready for secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbrew26

Reaction score
I have a blue moon that has been fermenting for two weeks. I am planning on moving to s secondary and adding oranges. I checked the gravity ad it is atnthe levelit needs to be, but my airlock isstill bubbling every twenty seconds. Shold i wait or am i ok to add the oranges for secondary?

Personally, if I rack to a secondary, I like to do it before fermentation has completely finished in the belief that the yeast will clean up introduced oxygen from racking. This is an attempt to prevent oxidation. Whether or not this actually helps, I don't know, but I haven't had any perceptible oxidation/stale off flavors.

That's why I use a legth of tubing from the primary spigot (or autosiphon conversely) to half way around the bottom of the secondary vessel. No o2 worries from splashing,etc that way. It's also always a good idea to hit FG in primary 1st so as not to possibly induce a stuck ferment. Better safe than sorry.

if you have stable FG readings over a few or more days, and those readings jive with the expected FG, you're good to go. never remove the fermenting beer from the main yeast cake until FG is reached, just be careful when racking not to introduce o2.

Yeah, good point about using a long enough siphon hose, I do use a length of tubing that does circle the bottom, but to me the act of exposing beer to a new (relatively) oxygen rich environment in a secondary and the resulting turbulence exposing the surface of the beer to the air I just can't help but transfer while the beer is still opaque with yeast. I still end up with a nice layer of yeast falling out of suspension so no worries of stuck ferments. If I were to estimate how finished fermenting my beer is, I would say 90% done.

Again, probably one of those techniques that it probably doesn't matter, or is insignificant to such a degree as opposed to other factors.
Your mileage may vary

Back