Making Beer by William Mares

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
This book is out of print. The first edition published in 1984, and then there was a revised edition in 1989 or 88.

This book changed my life. My Mother-in Law gave it to me back in 1987, almost 20 years ago.

Most experienced brewers won't learn much from this book, but they will enjoy reading it. It is an excellent read and very entertaining. You may very well find yourself in William's shoes as he tells his story.

I found this book online at Abes and Amazon and have purchased both first and second editions simply because they mean so much to me and my hobby as a home brewer.

I highly recommend looking for it as you will never find another book about brewing beer like it. I have loads of them and this one book is just so unique that anyone who loves home brewing will love this book. His passion about his hobby comes through and you re-live his experiences, however humorous.

Do yourself a favor and look for this collectors item. I'd bet a bottle of Apfelwein you won't be sorry (that is if you are a true lover of zymurgy).

0679755020.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. You know it is funny how certain books can really revolutionize your ideas about something.

Took your advice Ed and looked up the book. LMAO as I read it!! :p I'm an avid reader of anything and everything, really. Found a 1994 reprint on Amazon. Mares has a great writing style. Thanks again for the heads up. RR

Ridge Runner said:
Took your advice Ed and looked up the book. LMAO as I read it!! :p I'm an avid reader of anything and everything, really. Found a 1994 reprint on Amazon. Mares has a great writing style. Thanks again for the heads up. RR

Cool. I'm glad you tried it. It should bring back memories of any old home brewer from the bad old days. Man things have changed since then, but when you get down to it, the basics are still the same.

The book changed my life and I get to blame SWMBO's Mom for it. :cross:

My parents got me this book-along with a brew kit, and I read it front to back before brewing a thing. It was a really good introduction to the craft-from a good perspective. I imagine it'd be even funnier if read by more experienced folks.

I just read this again. What a great read. It will bring back memories to any experienced brewer.

My wife bought me this book 10 or so years ago. I read it then and I re-read it about 3 years ago. I love it.

Back