1st crack at a saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Any issues with this recipe? I took examples of a few I saw on HBT and came up with this for a 5 gallon batch...

6 lbs 2Row
1.5 lbs white wheat malt
.5 lb honey malt
.25 lb carapils
.25 lb aromatic
1 lb Honey (steeped, see below)

Mash at 152F for 60m

1 oz E.K. Golding (60m)
.5 oz Hallertauer (40m)
.5 oz Hallertauer (10m)
.25 oz cracked black pepper (5m)
1 orange of zest (5m)

Honey added just before flameout and allowed to steep for 15 min with lid on.

Primary for about 2 weeks
carbonate in keg for about 1 week.

I'd mash closer to 145 ish as well. Also add any sugar after high krausen to help dry it out.

2 weeks in primary is not nearly enough time to ferment out a Saison. Mine using wyeast Belgian saision takes about 5 weeks. No need to rack a brew like this either, after that long the yeast cake settles like a rock.

Good advise. I have never attempted this style before nor have i ever added sugar to the fermenter. Anything I should know about that process? Im assuming Ill bring the sugar to boil first? Is there a formula to determine a sugar amount to dryness ratio?

I use one lb of sugar in mine (5 gallon batch) and I dissolve it in 6 or 8 ounces of water that I've brought to a boil and then immediately cool once it's all dissolved in (the water is clear) then pour it right in. With 3711, I wouldn't do more than that. That yeast drys it out well anyway, especially if you mash low.

Good advise. I have never attempted this style before nor have i ever added sugar to the fermenter. Anything I should know about that process? Im assuming Ill bring the sugar to boil first? Is there a formula to determine a sugar amount to dryness ratio?

I don't know if this is right but I typically boiled the sugar for a few minutes mixed with water (1 cup sugar to 1 cup water) with a little splash of lemon juice to create a simple syrup. Let it cool a little and dump into fermentor.

My LHBS did not have 3711 last time so I made a command decision and got 3787.

OK, so i've adjusted my recipe a bit:

7 lb 2row
1.5 lb white wheat
1 lb honey malt
.5 lb aromatic
.25 lb carapils
Mashed at 148F

1oz E.K. Goldings (60)
.5oz Hallertauer (20)
.5oz Hallertauer (10)

Wyeast 3711

As long as it takes in primary.

I add mine to the boil just before the end. I've never added it to the primary during ferment and haven't had a problem with the gravity getting stalled. Last batch finished at 1004!

I like to keep it simple and let the yeast shine, some saisions can be overspiced hiding the true characteristics of this beer.

here is a snapshot of mine

3.21 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 53.93 %
1.34 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.47 %
1.00 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.85 %
0.09 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 1.51 %
35.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (30 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.31 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.24 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.004 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.26 %
Bitterness: 27.5 IBU

Throw a lb of sugar at it on day 3 or so in the primary. and ferment high...

Ferment it high...most like the heat.

If you want to .... all suggestions..

Throw a lb of sugar at it on day 3 or so in the primary. and ferment high...

Ferment it high...most like the heat.

If you want to .... all suggestions..

I was just going to add that same thought...I read that you step up the heat every so often...like up into the 80's...that brings out the flavor and yeast characteristics...i've heard :D

I'm planning on doing one this spring...have it ready for the 4th. I was thinking of saving the yeast out of a bottle or two...I have a beer store that sells them by the bottle (the beer that is). I actually had one saved for like a year but gave up on it cause I moved...

Back