BrewTroller/FermTroller Controlled Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdillin

Reaction score
So I finally was able to convince swmbo that I needed a bigger kegerator :biggrin:

So two very grumpy lowes employees dropped off my freezer yesterday and I went right to work getting a fermtroller working for it.

So here on the left you see a standard outdoor outlet box with one of our single relay boards mounted into the back of it. The larger cable is of course the 120V going to a plug and the other smaller line is the control wire for the relay.

On the right is the brewtroller 3.3 board mounted inside with an LCD. The connectors on the bottom are Power IN - Relay Control Out - Temp Probe Connection

DSC_0098.jpg

Still need to get a SS probe end from Derrin for the temp probe.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

Here you can see the outlet mounted. This allows the control box to be up and visible and the plug to be low and hidden.

DSC_0106.jpg

Here is the system as soon as I powered it up

DSC_0103.jpg

And here it is this morning when I left the house, purring right along.

DSC_0112.jpg

So now the only thing left to do is tidy up some of the wires and put a collar on this thing.

What is the advantage doing it this way vs. using the more common Ranco/Johnson digital temperature controllers? Also, what was the total cost to put that together?

That cool JC! I've got the same freezer and love it to pieces. Can get 8 cornies in there without a collar.

Catt22,
You have many options to expand. If one was so inclined (read insane) you could add load sensors to the bottom and weigh each keg, kind of like keg bot. You could also put a pressure transducer on the co2 line to display bottle pressure and serving pressure without having to open the lid. Flow meters on the serving lines, etc etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the Ranco/Johnson temp controllers, the Fermtroller gives the user the option to exercise some creativity.

Cost wise, I'd guess you're looking at around 100 bucks. the new dedicated fermtroller boards are going to be cheaper than the BrewTroller boards so I think $100 would be the upper end of the cost when they become available.

Back