air leaking into my beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that after I pour some beer, micro bubbles of air will begin to start to form in the beer line from the connection at the corny. Is this air leaking in at the ball lock due to a bad seal? Can I use some of the corny seal grease on the connection? Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it? Here's a pick where you can see the air in the line.

DSC_0106.JPG

Thanks

~nuts

No, it's CO2 coming out of solution. Add a fan to the kezzer to keep the lines colder.

No, it's CO2 coming out of solution. Add a fan to the kezzer to keep the lines colder.

Or match the volumes of co2 your beer is carbed at with the correct psi. Tell us your beer temp, psi setting and carbonation method.

I'm going to drop a thermo into the bottle that has my probe in it to confirm, but my temp is set at 39 degrees. The temp controller is chicompany dial and it's pretty damn on point on my last tests. I force carb at 36lb psi (roughly 2.9x vol)for about 3 days then set my secondary to 12lb psi for about a week before I start drinking. Should I be at a higher psi than 12. It's been awhile since i referenced the tables on co2 volume.

BTW WW450, i heart your avatar so heartily :)
Thanks for helping me on this!

Check my sig for a good carb chart. You may be overcarbed a bit. If so you can cut the gas off and purge it for a few hours then reset to proper serving psi, it will equal out in a day or two. Any foaming problems?

Well, now I'm just damned confused. I have no problems with foam except with the air in the line after the pour. Once I get the line full of beer to the tap, it's a perfect pour and with perfect head(no pun intended). So if I'm reading the chart, my force carb should have been 2.5x volume at 39 degrees if my serving psi is 12psi(which I like). Do I still adhere to a 3 day force carb then de-pressurize and leave at 12 psi for a week?

You over carbed. The co2 is coming out of solution because 12 psi is not enough pressure to hold it in. Purge your tank a few times, re-connect and leave at 12psi, it will equal out eventually. Be patient, it will take a few days.

I get it, thanks. I took a temperature read of the water in my bottle that that the probe is in. The temp in the bottle is 35 deg. So I'm going to slowly raise the temp up to 38 degrees and I'll purge the keg a few times to get it balanced.

I just put a robust porter on gas on a slow track to carbo at 12lb psi at 38 degrees. Based on the chart it looks like porters should be carbed at 2.5 vol at 6ps. I would definitely appreciate your input since I would like to get this right moving fwd.

Back