Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my fiance got me a mr beer deluxe kit for x-mas , ive been wanting to learn about brewing and diy brewing , so here goes , my first step ........ its about 4 days into the fermenting, lol counting my days down .....

Congratulations. You are now participating in one of the most rewarding pursuits possible.

Be sure to read the Mr. Beer sticky thread at the top of this forum, as I'm sure you will find it valuable.

congrats, i also received one from my wife. im already looking into bigger and better setups as i wait two weeks for this batch to go to bottle.

Congrats and welcome to you both. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but do a little bit of research before hand. Just about everything a guy could ask has been placed in a sticky somewhere around here. If you can't find it... ask. welcome aboard!

I also strongly advise reading the Mr. Beer sticky. I have read the whole thing (it takes a while) and have learned a tremendous amount of information. I also received a Mr. Beer as an early Xmas present. I have the west coast ale fermenting for 8 days now. waiting, waiting, waiting.

My wife bought me a Mr. Beer kit a couple of months back and I brewed the pale ale that came with it. It was ok tasted a little like budweiser. I bought a refill pack with three recipes and brewed the the wheat beer, I added a little honey to it and it turned out great. I have am making the oktoberfest next. I am going to start buying equipment and get into brewing much more seriously. My wife approves of the new hobby, I believe she thinks it's more manly than my other hobby which is practicing magic, our kids like it. No matter how deep I get into brewing I will always appreciate Mr Beer for getting me started.

My wife bought me a Mr. Beer kit a couple of months back and I brewed the pale ale that came with it. It was ok tasted a little like budweiser. I bought a refill pack with three recipes and brewed the the wheat beer, I added a little honey to it and it turned out great. I have am making the oktoberfest next. I am going to start buying equipment and get into brewing much more seriously. My wife approves of the new hobby, I believe she thinks it's more manly than my other hobby which is practicing magic, our kids like it. No matter how deep I get into brewing I will always appreciate Mr Beer for getting me started.

Your other hobby is practicing magic???? How freaking cool!!! When I was a kid I was into learning magic. Too cool!!!

Welcome :mug:

Your other hobby is practicing magic???? How freaking cool!!! When I was a kid I was into learning magic. Too cool!!!

Welcome :mug:

me too, although i didnt get too far. now my camera is my other, main hobby. i plan to fill my other down time when i dont feel like taking pics with making beer.

When it comes to making custom beer (not the refill packs) how well does Mr.Beer work?

Read this thread an you will see :D....Many of us have posted our 2.5 gallon recipes using regular homebrew ingredients in here. I even put a tutorial together on how to do all grain on the stove top using a 5 gallon pot and a 2 gallon cooler a few pages back. Think of the keg as a small batch fermenter that you can even easily lager in you fridge with, and you will be all set.

haha thanks guys i will most def check out the mr. beer sticky ,
If she supports you habit, you found a keeper.

lol shes cool , but i got in trouble for using her "pink" pots for the wort ,
im only a few days into fermenting ,
well hopefully all turns out well ,

lol shes cool , but i got in trouble for using her "pink" pots for the wort ,
im only a few days into fermenting ,
well hopefully all turns out well ,

I hear you on that one! However it worked out well for me. I found a 30 quart stainless steel pot under the christmas tree. :ban:

My wife approves of the new hobby, I believe she thinks it's more manly than my other hobby which is practicing magic, our kids like it.

I have a small library on magic at home. I've always been interested in the history and the techniques. I have a few old things sitting around, but I never took the time to really practice. I'm still very interested in it. I'm assuming you're talking about sleight of hand and misdirection magic. If you're talking about chanting in a dark room and cooking things in cauldrons, well, I'm afraid my collection is very thin in that area. I do have an old copy of Macbeth around somewhere.

Think of the keg as a small batch fermenter that you can even easily lager in you fridge with, and you will be all set.

I learn something every day!! I'm very new, don't even have a 5 gallon kit yet, but was pretty sure there would be no way I would ever be able to find space to lager a 5 gallon batch and figured I'd be stuck with ales. I never even thought about making a smaller batch and using the Mr. Beer!!

Hi guys.

New to the forum and new to home brewing. I got a Mr Beer for Christmas as well and started up a batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. I have a dumb question though; do I have to bottle it or can I keep it in the keg and just drink from there?

Also, which brew is everyone's favorite? :mug:

Hi guys.

New to the forum and new to home brewing. I got a Mr Beer for Christmas as well and started up a batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. I have a dumb question though; do I have to bottle it or can I keep it in the keg and just drink from there?

Also, which brew is everyone's favorite? :mug:

It won't carb in the Mr Beer "keg". You need to bottle

Holy crap!!!! I just realised that I have been brewing exatcly one year thanks to last year's Mr Beer Christmas present! (Look at my join date)......Here I am now having 2 10 gallon AG brews under my belt! :)

You just don't know what you started man, you are doomed! DOOMED I tells ya! ;)

Shooter posted...

If you're talking about chanting in a dark room and cooking things in cauldrons, well, I'm afraid my collection is very thin in that area.

That is called 'All Grain' brewing.

Now you've got something to look forward to!

Press onward!

Pogo

I too received the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this year and have got my first batch fermenting away right now. I'm using the High Country Canadian Draft extract and booster that came with the kit and so far have done it exactly like the directions specified, although I do plan on leaving it in the fermentation keg for 2 weeks rather than the 1 week specified in the directions. Rather than adding table sugar to each bottle I am planning on creating a solution of corn sugar and water in a 3-gallon cooler with a spigot at the bottom and then filling the bottles from there. Is there anything else that I can do to improve what I've already got going? I've already decided that future brews will be done in a more advanced way than the Mr. Beer directions call for, but I was just wondering if there's anything more that can be done to improve this first batch?

I too received the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this year and have got my first batch fermenting away right now. I'm using the High Country Canadian Draft extract and booster that came with the kit and so far have done it exactly like the directions specified, although I do plan on leaving it in the fermentation keg for 2 weeks rather than the 1 week specified in the directions. Rather than adding table sugar to each bottle I am planning on creating a solution of corn sugar and water in a 3-gallon cooler with a spigot at the bottom and then filling the bottles from there. Is there anything else that I can do to improve what I've already got going? I've already decided that future brews will be done in a more advanced way than the Mr. Beer directions call for, but I was just wondering if there's anything more that can be done to improve this first batch?

Make sure you thoroughly sanitize your cooler (bottling bucket), and most important of all, be patient. You're on the right track with 2 weeks fermenting. Follow it up with another 2 weeks at room temp to carbonate, and another 2 weeks in the fridge to cold-condition and clarify.

so its day 5 of fermenting and i got a lil anxious , I DIDNT OPEN IT , but i look at it with a flashlight ,it looks like beer! the color is a nice golden starting to look clearer . also the smell ............it smells like beer thats been left out the fridge for a day ,........ seems good so far

So, it's day 7 of my first batch in Mr.Beer. The brew seems to be fairly clear so, I was wondering: Can I bottle one beer then let the rest of the beer sit for another week while I wait to bottle the rest or should I just bottle all at once?

The only reason I want to bottle one then bottle the rest later is to compare the differences between bottling at the minimum wait time versus letting it set out for another week as Mr.Beer does not allow for hydrometer.

so its day 5 of fermenting and i got a lil anxious , I DIDNT OPEN IT , but i look at it with a flashlight ,it looks like beer! the color is a nice golden starting to look clearer . also the smell ............it smells like beer thats been left out the fridge for a day ,........ seems good so far

Don't forget to kiss the fermenter good night at bedtime.

Seriously, it helps! :D

This threads getting to the size it is an epic to read.
If you have a specific question can you make sure you use a post title and I'll try and index them here.

Please help by entering a descriptive title (click advanced) I can then spot new questions for the index.

So, it's day 7 of my first batch in Mr.Beer. The brew seems to be fairly clear so, I was wondering: Can I bottle one beer then let the rest of the beer sit for another week while I wait to bottle the rest or should I just bottle all at once?

The only reason I want to bottle one then bottle the rest later is to compare the differences between bottling at the minimum wait time versus letting it set out for another week as Mr.Beer does not allow for hydrometer.

im on about day 10 of my first batch. i would say go for it, whats it going to hurt other than the first bottle. i think personally if i was going to do that i would do two bottles. one check in a week like they say to do in the instructions, and the other let sit for a while to see how much better it gets aging in the bottle.

Well...I've heard that opening the tap before the beer is ready for bottling can lead to infection of the batch. I can't verify that. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Give it at least 10 days in the keg and 20 is even better.

BTW, one of those red LED flashlights is great for seeing through the brown plastic.

Well...I've heard that opening the tap before the beer is ready for bottling can lead to infection of the batch. I can't verify that. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Give it at least 10 days in the keg and 20 is even better.

Not true. Just clean up the spigot with some vodka or sanitizer after you pull a sample.

hi, just got a mr. beer for christmas and brewed the WCPA. i just got done bottling that and now i started a porter in which i made the recipe on my own. i used one can of the red ale extract, one can of the creamy brown UME, and a 1/2 cup light brown sugar(light was all i had). i also used 1/2 oz of goldings pellet hops. i have a couple of questions both about the porter and the WCPA. first the porter,
1) i basically followed the MR. beer instructions, except when it came to the hops, i first boiled water, and then when i got a rolling boil i added about 1/4 oz. of the hops and let boil for about 5 min. then added an 1/8 oz. when i added the extract and the last 1/8th oz after i poured the wort into the fermentor. was this wrong to do? if so, how should i have done it?
2) i also did not use any hop bags or filters, so there is a lot of hop particles floatin in the fermentor, will this be a problem when bottling?
The WCPA
1) i bottled after about 12 days in the fermentor, i didnt see anymore bubbles rising, and the wort was very clear, so i bottled. However, when i took a sample before bottling, it smelled like apples and champagne almost. was pretty much flat. tasted kinda of the same as the smell, maybe tasted a little more like beer. Will this go away after conditioning in the bottle? or did i bottle too early?

thanks for ur time!!

i think you should have boiled the extract at least a little, but i could be wrong, maybe just dumping it in would be ok. did you at least make sure it mixed up fully?

you should be ok with the hops, it may just back up the spicket a little.

as far as the strange taste/smell mine had a small vinager taste. cant tell you if it will go away or not since i just bottled mine saturday!

i was thinking about boiling the extract, but since MR. beer extracts are not ment to be boiled, i was worried about carmelization, exspecially since i used 2 cans of extract, and the only reason i added some of the hops when the water was boiling was because i heard that the only way to get bitterness out of the hops was to boil them. but since i only boiled them for a couple of minutes, it prolly didnt do much at all, thanks for the help!

Back