Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first IPA and do some dry hopping. I ordered my stuff and I am patiently waiting, but began to think about something- does it matter what form of hops I use for the dry hopping? I ordered pellets and I quite often see in pictures people using whole leaf hops in the dry hop stage. Thanks in Advance!:ban:

Nope, it doesn't matter. I have used both and made the same recipe with each and no difference.

whole leaf will prob absorb more beer but can be easier to rack underneath

pellet seem to break up and mix with the beer better but i haven't noticed a difference in aroma from either

i use a paint strainer bag on the end of my auto-siphon for both kinds just to be safe

I am getting ready to do my first IPA and do some dry hopping. I ordered my stuff and I am patiently waiting, but began to think about something- does it matter what form of hops I use for the dry hopping? I ordered pellets and I quite often see in pictures people using whole leaf hops in the dry hop stage. Thanks in Advance!:ban:

I use leaf hops. Does absorb a little more beer but I plan ahead for this. I put the dry hops in a muslin bag and let them be. Less trouble for me than dealing with straining and filtering out the pellet hops. As long as you are careful when racking, either is OK in my opinion

Back