AHS Newcastle Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i made the extract it was close but i was not impressed

*also i dont remember what yeast i used but it was not the one specified in the recipe it was something dry

Brown ales are easy to make.You should just by ingredients for a recipe.I have formulated my own that blow new castle out of the water.

The AHS Brown Ale is good too.
The thing about clone recipes is that it will rarely taste exactly like the thing it's trying to clone. (Especially since the beer your trying to clone may even change over the years, or for smaller breweries even batch to batch)
A clone will still taste good, but if you REALLY want a newcastle, then just buy newcastle. If you want to brew a brown ale, then go for it.

The issue you will likely run into is that Newcastle is said to be brewed as two separate beers and blended. So a clone kit has you brew ONE beer, when you'd need to do two to get the right flavour.

Thanks all for the feedback. I am not necessarily looking for an exact match to Newcastle. I just want a good brown ale, and since Newcastle is one of my all time favorites, I figured I would just shoot for something similar. I have had other brown ales that I didn't care for much so I don't want to brew just any old brown ale not knowing what I'll end up with.

dsdrake219, were you not impressed because the AHS kit wasn't very good? Or was it because it wasn't a close match to Newcastle? Or both?

Brown ales are easy to make.You should just by ingredients for a recipe.I have formulated my own that blow new castle out of the water.[/QUOTE
My brother in law are reasearching an extract new castle clone, but are also interested in buying the ingrediants seperately...would you be willing to share one of your brown ale formulas with us or is that asking too much? thanks :fro:

Hopville.com is a good place to look at a few recipes and see what they have in common. It is a good education for the style trend. Hope that helps.

+1 on buying the ingredeints and just make your own version of a brown. then compare it to a new castle and a Sam Smith Nut Brown ale... Thats fun research ;)

Enjoy

Back