Sam Adams Boston Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I like Sam Adams Boston Lager and it's usually my fallback beer when I'm out and there is nothing else interesting.
Maybe it's just me but Sam Adams tastes more like an Ale to me than a lager.
I think there is a lot going on there as far as aroma as well as bitterness.
Anyone else?

Tommy

Sam Adams definitely uses more hops than BMC. As for tasting like an ale, get a Brewmasters Collection and try the Boston Ale with the Boston Lager (or get six of each). This is what I did to try to tune my tastebuds.

- magno

Sam Adams is definitely a good fall back, I just finished a case and enjoyed every last drop.

I had a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat the other night and man it was great.
I have already concocted a recipe to try and duplicate it.
Sam Adams really has it down.
I like a good ol' Fat Tire too when I am out.

Fat Tire was way better befor they mass produced it. They loss the touch and now It's just bleh. I'll pass.

I just had a couple of bottles of Samuel Adams Boston Ale tonight with my pizza at a local pizzaria. This is the first time I've ever had it, or even heard of it. It was really good. I'd love to be able to produce a crisp and tart medium-bodied brown ale like that. Does anyone know of a clone recipe for it?

As for Fat Tire, well, it makes me fart a lot. I don't know why that is because it doesn't seem excessively yeasty, but I tend not to drink it much anymore for that reason.

Sam Adams Boston Lager was the first real good beer I ever had. I recall fondly, it was about 1988 and Boston Brewing was still in it's infancy and definitely a micro brewery. I stopped by my parents house and they offered me one. Now my parents aren't really drinkers at all; but if they were offering me a beer, I though I better try it. Having that first Boston Lager forever sent me on a quest to find great beer and eventually brew my own great beer. I thank God for people like Jim Koch (owner of Boston Brewing) who have finally elevated beer and brewing above sub-standard, cheap, "let's get rich" swill.

Back