Used Keezer brought home and.....not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akidd17

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a Keezer from a guy I used to work with in So Cal. He hadnt used it in a while and long story short gave it to me for free! I was excited naturally as the system was already setup with collar 3 perlick taps, 3 regular CO2 manifold and lines.

Well, the keezer wouldnt fit into my SUV ont the way home (400 mile trip) so we had to remove the collar/lid and lay it on its back. I got it home and the temp controller face popped out. The controller was set into the lid which just so happend to be under the collar/3/4" piece of plywood and siliconed down like it was being bombproofed. Needless to say it took some effort getting to the controller.

So, I reattached the controller face, Plugged it in left it overnight and.............nothing. The temp never got below 61 F. The compressor doesnt seem to making any stange noise, just a moderate low operating drone. So a couple of questions arise:

1. Did laying this thing on its back mess something up?

2. If so, what can I do to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,

A-

P.S. I attaced some pics just because.

A-

Kegerator Controller.jpg

Kegerator Front.jpg

My guess is a small refrigerant leak..
laying it on its side just moved the oil about in an odd way. It would eventually end up back at the compressor where it belongs.

There are two copper lines running to the compressor. One should feel hot-ish the other cool. Is this so?

Compressors do not like being laid on there side...it has to do with how the motor inside is mounted on springs. If it was off those springs it would have made an ugly noise right away.

My guess is a small refrigerant leak..
laying it on its side just moved the oil about in an odd way. It would eventually end up back at the compressor where it belongs.

There are two copper lines running to the compressor. One should feel hot-ish the other cool. Is this so?

Compressors do not like being laid on there side...it has to do with how the motor inside is mounted on springs. If it was off those springs it would have made an ugly noise right away.

Thanks Yellow, I'll take a look tonight.

Well, I turned it back on let it run and checked the lines. One line each which is warm and the other "cool" will the cool one need to be cold?

Frustrated-

I beleive it was a sinking ship and bailed. I picked up a full size fridge and scavenged the perlicks. This is what I have so far.

IMG-20130415-00362.jpg

Back