Hop choice for american wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryis007

Reaction score
Brewing a batch of American style wheat beer tomorrow using WLP001 california ale yeast. The 10 gallon recipe calls for 6 pounds white wheat, 1/2 pound honey malt, 10 pounds american 2 row, 1 pound rice hulls and 1/2 oz bitter orange peel.

Going for a nice easy drinking, light, all day type beer. Beersmith calls for 15-30 IBUs for an american wheat.

In my freezer my hop choices are: cascades, chinook, comet, magnum, bravo and some unknown wild picked hops.

Which hops would you choose and how would you add them to the boil?

I would go with 1oz Cascade at 15 min, then plug in enough magnum to hit 22-25 IBU.

Was your thought process on the choice of these 2 hops that they are the most neutral of the ones I have available?

bbrim said:
I would go with 1oz Cascade at 15 min, then plug in enough magnum to hit 22-25 IBU.

I would have to agree with this. Magnum at 60 or FWH and then late Cascade additions at 15-0.

I really prefer more subtle, noble like hops in my American wheats and leave all the citrus for APAs or IPAs, but given your choices I'd agree with the others on magnum for bittering and cascade for finishing. I would however go light on the cascade... just enough for some character, but not enough that it takes over.

My thinking on the hop schedule I suggested is that the citrus notes from Cascade would be nice at low levels and Magnum provides a very smooth, clean bitterness.

Agreed with the not perfect hop choices for this style, which is why I wanted your guys opinions. Im going to do the magnum for bittering and cascades at the end for subtle aroma, shooting for around 20-25 ibus.

Thanks for the input!!

Back