Antique icebox to kegorator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsabrewdaddy

Reaction score
Before:

image-1224689291.jpg

Used the boards off the back to extend the length to cover the fridge.

image-2469333512.jpg

Used a 4.4 cu. ft, fridge, it fits two kegs and the CO2 tank.

image-1179164786.jpg

Just missing the tap handles.

image-3552544339.jpg

That looks pretty sweet!

One thing I would be worried about is the beer lines and shanks that are outside of the refrigerator. It may give you issues with foaming due to the cold beer hitting the warm lines/shanks/faucets. Maybe if you run into issues, you could also insulate the box, cut a hole in the refrigerator/take refrigerator the door off, and add a computer fan to help circulate the cold air into the deadspace on top.

That is awesome !!! Not only functional but looks like a finished antique piece of furniture. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I hope you are extremely proud of this as it is one sweet looking piece of furniture. Very, very nice!

I was just telling SWMBO that this would be awesome, but needed to figure out a good way to cool it. Didn't even think about using the icebox as a shroud. Brilliant! And beautiful. Well done sir. I will absolutely be ripping off this idea for the living room once we're in the new house.

Looks great. I just moved into an old farmhouse and a new, sleek kegerator would just look out of place. This would be an excellent fit in the house! I just need to keep my eyes open for an old ice chest now.

Thanks for the feedback, here is the final product with the tap handles (supposed to be chalkboards but they sent white boards) and drip tray:

image-4146697808.jpg

Nice build and imagination. What size kegs can you fit in that thing? Like two 3 gallons or a 3 and a 5 or two 5's.

Dirtie said:
Nice build and imagination. What size kegs can you fit in that thing? Like two 3 gallons or a 3 and a 5 or two 5's.

Two 5's....had to remove the temp controller from the original spot and just push it back a couple of inches

i think i would look cool if you did the "wooden floor hvac register" drip tray that a member did on here. the wood finish would look more natural with the antique-ness of the ice box.

Atl300zx said:
i think i would look cool if you did the "wooden floor hvac register" drip tray that a member did on here. the wood finish would look more natural with the antique-ness of the ice box.

I just did a search for that and could find anything, do you know which thread it is?

Back