Trub in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
My honey porter was in the primary for about 10 days with a 1066 OG and when I racked to the secondary the FG was 1016. After 1 day in the secondary I noticed there is already about 1 inch of trub on the bottom of the carboy.

My plan is to leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks. Will sitting on this trub affect the flavor of my beer?

Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.

2 weeks shouldn't effect the quality of the brew. Some folks on here leave their beer in the primary for a month or so, then skip the secondary.

I'm wondering why you got that much trub. I usually get some, but not nearly an inch. Did you suck up a lot of the settled yeast when you racked to the secondary?

Whatever the reason, I don't think you'll have much trouble if you are only planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks.

S/He is getting that much trub because the yeast was still in suspension and wasn't done with the fermentation process.

Plan on moving out of secondary to bottling a few days after your Final Gravity readings stay constant and the yeast has flocculated out. Brewing is an organic process and usually doesn't fall into arbitrary time lines.

I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?

I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?

I never cold crash, as I mentioned in the other thread. I leave my beers in primary for a month or more and they are crystal clear.

+1 ,,just leave in Primary for 3 weeks to a month and let it be, then keg or bottle based on gravity.

Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.

Back