Hops Leaf Plugs vs. Hops Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
When I went to one of my second closest (1.5 hours away) homebrew store today and they had hop leaf plugs instead of hop pellets. The person behind the counter did not know whether they were equivalent to pellets so I set my hopes on "yes" as the answered and purchased the amount (2oz of Cascade) that I needed for my recipe.

Was that a mistake? Are leaf plugs and pellets fairly equivalent?

I don't use leaf hops too often (a pain to clean up, transfer from, etc), but when I do, I go for the same amount I would use in pellets.

I don't know if they are equivalent, but I sure like using them. They smell fantastic when you break them up to throw in your boil and the hop oils get all over your hands and fingers!

If I can get them I like leaf or plug. Pellets are slightly stronger as the glands are pre-broken and work better as a bittering hop. whole or plugs work best as a flavor or finish hop... it tastes "fresher" IMO.

When using hop leaf plugs, do you break them up as much as you can or just a bit? I usually put my pellets in a hop sack - can I do the same with the plugs?

Back