A few questions about a simple porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidnightShift

Reaction score
I have some questions about a porter that I am going to be brewing up this weekend. The recipe is:
6# of amber lme
1/4# black pantent
1/4# chocolate malt
1# 60L crystal
1oz centenial 60 min
1oz cascade end of boil
1oz cascade dry

My questions are what kind of dry yeast would be best to use on this, and would it affect the flavor if I were to add another 3# of amber lme? The recipe gives me a choice of 6# or 9# of lme. I was just wondering what effect adding more lme has on flavor.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way this is the first time that I have ever posted to any forum so please be gentle to a forum virgan!:)

I have some questions about a porter that I am going to be brewing up this weekend. The recipe is:
6# of amber lme
1/4# black pantent
1/4# chocolate malt
1# 60L crystal
1oz centenial 60 min
1oz cascade end of boil
1oz cascade dry

My questions are what kind of dry yeast would be best to use on this, and would it affect the flavor if I were to add another 3# of amber lme? The recipe gives me a choice of 6# or 9# of lme. I was just wondering what effect adding more lme has on flavor.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way this is the first time that I have ever posted to any forum so please be gentle to a forum virgan!:)

Adding 3# more LME will add more flavor, more gravity, and (thus) more alcohol. it will also decrease the amount of perceived bitterness from the hops.

the range of 6-9# is a HUGE difference. Strange that the recipe is so flexible, but... whatever....

Thanks,
I have 9# so I think I will try it. Just wondering what kind of dry yeast would make this a great beer.

Adding 3lbs of LME will increase the beer's sweetness, make it feel heavier, and increase the alcohol content by close to 50%.

For this beer I would probably go with Safale US-04. But you know what? I also might grab Safbrew T-58, which is a specialty dry yeast that leaves a spicy, peppery taste. Or maybe a blend of the two - there's nothing wrong with using two packs of yeast, so why not try them both in this beer?

For dry yeast- you may want to look at Safale US-05. I believe it attenuates pretty well so it will dry it out a bit. Also, from what I recall, it is a pretty clean yeast. Based on your use of american hops I would say this yeast would work well.

You should check out one of the brewing calculators or try promash. Here you can play with different amounts of grains / malts to see what the gravity and ibus look like.

The recipe is pretty generic. All it says is 2 to 3 bags of amber malt. I got this from a lhbs and he is wanting new brewers to experiment to get a feel for different bittering units and other factors that effect flavors. His bags are 3# and I have 3 of them. If I do use 9#s how many grams of dry yeast should I pitch. I have always used liquid yeast before so this is my first time using dry yeast.

For dry yeast- you may want to look at Safale US-05. I believe it attenuates pretty well so it will dry it out a bit. Also, from what I recall, it is a pretty clean yeast. Based on your use of american hops I would say this yeast would work well.

You should check out one of the brewing calculators or try promash. Here you can play with different amounts of grains / malts to see what the gravity and ibus look like.

I have put this in a calculator (can't remember which one right now, have to check it when I get home.) The bittering is at 25 with a 3 gallon boil with an OG of 1.063. I'm just about to put an amber ale in the secondary with a wlp005 liquid yeast, so I think that I might try the Safale US-04 to see what flavor this brings out. I want to keep this a little sweet so would a high attenuative yeast reduce the sweetness of the beer?

yes if you want to keep it a little sweeter then i think i would use the US-04 since it does not have as high attenuation.

and you will be ok if you just pitch one packet at 1.063.

i'm brewing a porter now and used danstar's nottingham dry ale yeast. fermentation was the most vigorous i have ever had in a beer. very happy with the results of this yeast so far.

Latest posts

Back